Fins more flexible than Mares Quattro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My knees aren't great either.

Force Fins ++++ Love mine, but the Standard and Pros are really a flutter fin, with power on the down stroke, so not really great for frogging IMO. Faster, short amplitude kicking is the sweet spot.
I'm going to be trying Hokey FFs again when I get back in the water next month.

I did start out with the stiffer Atomic (Smoke on the Water) splits. Despite all of the SB jokes, I really like them and found them efficient and versatile. I was able to easily flutter, mod-flutter, 'copter, and frog in them. I haven't figured out back in anything yet, so no comment there. These seem to like slower, large-amplitude kicking.

If I hadn't switched footwear and my son outgrown them, they'd still be in use. Instead they are in the "sell" pile

I'll advise Force Fins Pro too. Dropped my Quattro for those.

Mares Excite?
I have a messed up knee and my Quattro Plus seem to hurt it now.
Flutter kick? Frog kick? I tore a meniscus and ACL a couple of years back in Palau and did every dive with no problem, almost exclusively frog kicking. (Walking around on the boat was another issue.)

Buy Tusa split fins. They're great for bad knees.
I have Tusa splits. They are OK but, off note, they are on the heavy side, if this matters.

I used tusa split fins until I built up enough strength in my legs.
Now I use the quattros in cold water and free dive fins in warm.
The tusa splits were decent for what they were and were a lot easier on my legs and knees.

You are the perfect candidate for split fins. I personally recommend either the Atomic or Scubapro. If you search online you can find some pretty good deals on used ones.

Back
Top Bottom