Fins Mares or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have always like Mares fins but I did not care for the X3's the times I have tried them in the pool. I see a number of them in use though. I preferred the Quattros for a very long time for recreational diving and now use the Mares X Stream.

Everyone likes fins for whatever reason suits them. The best way is to put them on with the gear configuration you plan on using and go for a test dive.
Can you perform different kicks (frog, helicopter turns, back kick), how do they effect your trim, do they hurt your legs, knees or ankles when you kick?

I am sure you will be getting some interesting answers on this. Personally, I have had a pair now for 8 years, that I love. The only reason I don't use them all the time is they are black and in low viz, that is not the plan for leading other divers. I was going through a "ninja" diver stage when i bought them ! :eyebrow:
Durable, comfortable and great for power and direction.
Just my personal opinion......

I had a pair of Avanti Quattros and a pair of Plana Avantis. I couldn't tell them apart, based on performance, and I liked them. They are light and reasonably stiff. The reason I no longer use them is because they don't come with spring straps and I was too lazy to retro-fit them myself.

In the past I have used both regular Avantis and Quattros extensively. Although, I am not a fan of most Mares gear, both of these fins are excellent.

+1 on Mares fins, having used Planas, Quattros and now using Excel+

Ditto, love the quality and stiffness of the Quattro Excel blades...perfect for me to have power when I need it and do a variety of kicks easily (I prefer to frog kick). I recommend whatever you get, buy spring straps for them.

+1 on Mares fins, having used Planas, Quattros and now using Excel+
Based on your experience , what difference do you feel between the Quattros and the excel + ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom