Fins in the pool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
After swimming 800 - 1200 yards a day 5 days/week in the pool over the summer, I thought it might be a good idea to try snorkeling in the pool with my fins. A couple of dives later after a few surface swims back to shore in some heavy surge I was thinking that this exercise program was a good one.

Here's the rub; after about 450 yards snorkeling in the pool, the arch of my feet start to cramp up something fierce. I can take of the fins, stretch my feet until the stiffness goes away. Then I'm good to finish -- I've gone as far as a mile afterwards.

Does anyone else get cramps like that? I've never had them on a dive, only in the pool? Thoughts?

you are probably finning more continously and maybe faster in the pool than when diving, where you amble along, stop and look at stuff, change direction from time to time.

I wondered if finning on the surface vs underwater makes a difference.

You might need to change your fins. There are special "swim fins" that you can wear to help condition your legs while swimming laps. They are about 1/2 the length of dive fins and are, oftentimes, angled differently. The pain in your arch (and I am no doctor here) might be b/c of the amount of downward push you are needing to move the longer fins through the water and, as said above, possibly at a faster speed.

I find that when I swim laps, at about laps #10-12 I feel exhausted and like I need to stop. I always find, however, that if I power through that feeling, I can easily go a mile, sometimes more. It is great exercise though.

As for the finning above v. below the water, I always keep my feet below the waterline as that is how I was taught to swim. I am not sure why they taught me that way but I don't generally get foot aches/cramps.

Another option might be to add some weight (on a weight belt) to increase your workload a bit.

I agree that being on the surface a lot with your fins might cause some pain - even a small ankle weight might help your feet not be so positively buoyant. When I fin in the pool I actually get some pain in my achilles tendon, and I find that varying strokes (using the frog style kick and actively pressing through my heels) relieves the pressure. You might try mixing up your fin strokes for starters so the muscles of the feet can work in different ways and not be stuck in one position.

My husband swims with the special pool fins and loves them - a lot of public pools such as university pools - have them on deck so you can give them a shot.

Sarita - you learned to swim with your feet below the water line for a very good reason - when your feet are above water, they are doing nothing at all to help provide forward thrust. It's just wasted energy if you bring your feet out of the water. Same goes with fins while swimming in a pool - keep them in the water!

Sarita - you learned to swim with your feet below the water line for a very good reason - when your feet are above water, they are doing nothing at all to help provide forward thrust. It's just wasted energy if you bring your feet out of the water. Same goes with fins while swimming in a pool - keep them in the water!

Thanks for the information - I figured it had something to do with that. :D

I love to swim in the pool with my fins, snorkel and wetsuit. What betters to exercise. :)

Unfortunately I don't wanna carry large fins, lose my mask and snorkel because the swimming pool I have a membership with is in Koret Gym up in San Franicisco and I live in San Jose county. A good hour drive there. :shakehead:

Glad I caught this message. I have started to swim laps in the pool again after about 3 years of not doing it. The fins they now have are so stiff. I am beginning to have arthritic feet and my feet hurt after using their fins.

I found a company on the internet swim 2000 and ordered a pair of their training fins. They are black,have an orange tip and are short. I am not sure if they are the ones I will continue to use but I am trying to get used to them. (if I don't like them I will donate to pool- so no loss)

Today I will try keeping my feet in the water. I know I have been on the top. Can hear the splash loudly.

Sure wish I was able to find the old voit black fins they were so soft. Searched the web for a pair but no luck

gail

Back
Top Bottom