Question Fins for weak ankles (ankle joints replaced)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
M

Merlous

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm based in the UK (North West/Midlands) and just getting back into diving after having a 10 year break due to operations.
The main operations have been around my feet and I have had both my ankle joints replaced. This was due to athritis which I have had since I was 6, I'm now 45.

My consultant has given me the all clear as I have done a pool dive with a few different fins and discovered I was okay but my old Tusa Imprex were not as comfy on my ankles.

I found the original Oceanic Vipers to be very comfortable but I'm wondering if anyone else can recommend any others that are easy going on the ankle joints. Or if anyone know how the Viper 2 compare to the original?

I'm looking at open heel fins as I wear boots to help protect my feet and to help give support to my ankles.

Any advice, thoughts and impressions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Disregard the Split-fin haters here! I have the Atomic Smoke on the Water splits and the Mares Avanti Quattro +. I switch off between them pretty regularly and they are both awesome fins.

These particular splits are on the long side, so not great for tight spaces but super comfortable and quite powerful in OW - I used them in strong currents in Tiputa Pass in Rangiroa and had no issues keeping up with anybody swimming into and cross currents.

You can also frog kick pretty well with them (contrary to crap I’ve see posted here) - though the Mares are better for fine control/finesse when needed and will have a bit more thrust per frog kick.

Great info thank you.

Seems to me from reading a lot of different posts is that with split fins and the force fins it comes down to technique...
Obviously different fins have different strengths and weaknesses, but like most things either you're naturally gifted/suited or they require a bit of a learning curve.

So a little update.
I ended up getting a pair of Excellerating Force Fins. From what I can gather they're firmer than the originals and Pros but they're fine for my ankles.
Only downside is I seem to have a bony spur on top of my foot that the foot pocket is pushing on. I have tried adding extra padding but to no avail.
I'm going to start a new thread I think to see if anyone has modified the foot pocket by cutting part or all away as it seems to be an easy modification to turn it into an adjustable pocket...

So a little update.
I ended up getting a pair of Excellerating Force Fins. From what I can gather they're firmer than the originals and Pros but they're fine for my ankles.
Only downside is I seem to have a bony spur on top of my foot that the foot pocket is pushing on. I have tried adding extra padding but to no avail.
I'm going to start a new thread I think to see if anyone has modified the foot pocket by cutting part or all away as it seems to be an easy modification to turn it into an adjustable pocket...
Start by contacting Bob Evens.

So a little update.

First thing I would try is some thinish closed-cell foam pad with the area that matches the spur cut out to give it space. Packing foam sheets, stacked, would probably work.

Do you have the Force Fin Instep Pads? If you do, I'd replicate the cutout on that if it is successful with the test closed cell pad.

Cutting up the Force Fins themselves would be a last resort. Some generations of some FF models did have factory oval cutouts on the instep strap.

As @lexvil pointed out contacting Bob at FF directly may yield you some better ideas.

First thing I would try is some thinish closed-cell foam pad with the area that matches the spur cut out to give it space. Packing foam sheets, stacked, would probably work.

Do you have the Force Fin Instep Pads? If you do, I'd replicate the cutout on that if it is successful with the test closed cell pad.

Cutting up the Force Fins themselves would be a last resort. Some generations of some FF models did have factory oval cutouts on the instep strap.

As @lexpojmted out contacting Bob at FF directly may yield you some better ideas.

I have messaged Bob about some ideas with regards to the cutting.

I have done similar pads with holes cut out for the bottom of my feet for when I was walking. I'm in the pool again on Wednesday so will know how they perform properly then. I have a few different material types and thickness to try.

I have messaged Bob about some ideas with regards to the cutting.

I have done similar pads with holes cut out for the bottom of my feet for when I was walking. I'm in the pool again on Wednesday so will know how they perform properly then. I have a few different material types and thickness to try.
While Bob can give you more ideas but you may be able to heat form the pocket a bit and maybe if you have them on tight try loosening them a bit, fins don’t need to be cinched down tight.

While Bob can give you more ideas but you may be able to heat form the pocket a bit and maybe if you have them on tight try loosening them a bit, fins don’t need to be cinched down tight.
Been trying a bit of heat but didn't want to over do it...
Just trying a bit more heat and clamping the sides as that raises the top of the pocket. I have good clearance on the sides so hoping this might work also. Or a combination of things might do it.
Just depends on the memory of the polyurethane...

Hi,
I'm based in the UK (North West/Midlands) and just getting back into diving after having a 10 year break due to operations.
The main operations have been around my feet and I have had both my ankle joints replaced. This was due to athritis which I have had since I was 6, I'm now 45.

My consultant has given me the all clear as I have done a pool dive with a few different fins and discovered I was okay but my old Tusa Imprex were not as comfy on my ankles.

I found the original Oceanic Vipers to be very comfortable but I'm wondering if anyone else can recommend any others that are easy going on the ankle joints. Or if anyone know how the Viper 2 compare to the original?

I'm looking at open heel fins as I wear boots to help protect my feet and to help give support to my ankles.

Thanks.

Hi,

Thanks.
Hi.I love those little Scooters that Guy in Australia straps to his Legs,with a remote control.Kick some ,with Fins, and cruise some, with the Scooters...All the best...

Back
Top Bottom