Question Fins for weak ankles (ankle joints replaced)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
M

Merlous

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm based in the UK (North West/Midlands) and just getting back into diving after having a 10 year break due to operations.
The main operations have been around my feet and I have had both my ankle joints replaced. This was due to athritis which I have had since I was 6, I'm now 45.

My consultant has given me the all clear as I have done a pool dive with a few different fins and discovered I was okay but my old Tusa Imprex were not as comfy on my ankles.

I found the original Oceanic Vipers to be very comfortable but I'm wondering if anyone else can recommend any others that are easy going on the ankle joints. Or if anyone know how the Viper 2 compare to the original?

I'm looking at open heel fins as I wear boots to help protect my feet and to help give support to my ankles.

Any advice, thoughts and impressions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

51kBKXrY2gL._AC_SX500_.jpg

@Merlous

Is there a club or shop where you can try a variety of fins? You have a rare condition and certainly need to be cautious with your choice.

@Merlous

Is there a club or shop where you can try a variety of fins? You have a rare condition and certainly need to be cautious with your choice.
There is a club who were very good at letting me try what they had that would fit my boots. Was just after new year when they were quieter so might get more choice as the time goes on.

The shop that were very good originally when I qualified closed down and the nearest one now about an hour away didn't have a good selection. There is another place I can try when work calms down a bit.

Thanks for all the info, especially the shaping of the sole, something so simple but probably overlooked.

I do have relatives in PA and Georgia but still a logistical nightmare as no plans to go out there soon.

Might be an awkward question but if you can answer it how would you say your Atomic Splits compare to the FF and FF pro on the down stroke with pressure on the ankle?
If you get over here, hit me up ....

I can't begin to answer that question. Neither fin is fatiguing for me so I can say that I would have cause to focus on it. They are totally different in feel and the kicks that I use are different. Apples and Oranges - both good fruit but little commonality.

Would different dive boots do the trick?

I don't know of any dive-boots that have good ankle support, but perhaps someone here does. I've actually been curious about getting some better dive-boots to perhaps reduce occasional cramps I get.

I've found my ScubaPro Seawing Novas (non-Gorilla) are a really "easy" fin to get good propulsion and reduce cramps, with a relatively gentle and consistent flutter kick. I'd think they may be a little less harsh on the ankles as well, but can't be sure.

Thankfully I don't have ankle issues, but I do have both knees and one hip with replacements. I can strongly recommend Apollo Bio and Atomic split fins as being very easy on lower extremity joints, and can see no reason why ankle replacements would be different. I know a lot of SB members abhor the idea of split fins, but if you flutter kick, either of the fins I mentioned will give you enough power in most circumstances without the joint strain. No one fin or fin type is going to be perfect for all scuba environments or for all people. Try as many as you can, and you will find ones that work for you.

If you get over here, hit me up ....

I can't begin to answer that question. Neither fin is fatiguing for me so I can say that I would have cause to focus on it. They are totally different in feel and the kicks that I use are different. Apples and Oranges - both good fruit but little commonality.
Will do, thanks!

That's the sort of answer I thought I would get, but if you don't ask you don't get. 👍

Would different dive boots do the trick?

I don't know of any dive-boots that have good ankle support, but perhaps someone here does. I've actually been curious about getting some better dive-boots to perhaps reduce occasional cramps I get.

I've found my ScubaPro Seawing Novas (non-Gorilla) are a really "easy" fin to get good propulsion and reduce cramps, with a relatively gentle and consistent flutter kick. I'd think they may be a little less harsh on the ankles as well, but can't be sure.
From the divers I have spoken to it seems with dive boots if you want more support then it's wrapping your ankle or a pull on support. But you never know...

I'm sure it was a Scubapro I tried right at the end, not sure which type but I need to check. It was between my old fins and the viper, might be a good choice in the future if I can build up those muscles. Done a lot of work at the gym but generally that works different muscles as I want thinking about diving then.

Thankfully I don't have ankle issues, but I do have both knees and one hip with replacements. I can strongly recommend Apollo Bio and Atomic split fins as being very easy on lower extremity joints, and can see no reason why ankle replacements would be different. I know a lot of SB members abhor the idea of split fins, but if you flutter kick, either of the fins I mentioned will give you enough power in most circumstances without the joint strain. No one fin or fin type is going to be perfect for all scuba environments or for all people. Try as many as you can, and you will find ones that work for you.
Yeah the ankles are not as advanced as the hips and knees but having any of them is bad enough. But when you have them done it makes you realise how bad it was before.

Not come across the Apollo Bio so that's one to look into, thank you 👍

From the divers I have spoken to it seems with dive boots if you want more support then it's wrapping your ankle or a pull on support. But you never know...

I'm sure it was a Scubapro I tried right at the end, not sure which type but I need to check. It was between my old fins and the viper, might be a good choice in the future if I can build up those muscles. Done a lot of work at the gym but generally that works different muscles as I want thinking about diving then.
I don't have any ankle problems (thankfully) so the extra time wrapping each dive would be a bit much. I wouldn't mind some that were more stiff or supportive by default.

I suppose I could always DIY something. Though, that gives me an idea. Thicker dive boots, such as 7mm dive boots should theoretically be more supportive than 2mm dive boots. I don't know why I didn't think of that before.

Apparently, thicker dive boots also sometimes require a larger size on the fin (fin foot pocket) as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom