Fins for tech diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got out of my 'broken' fins (SP Twin Jet Maxx) after some good humored jabs from my buddy... :drunks:
I'm now using the OMS Slipstreams in XXL, which are ever so slightly negative, and just the right amount of blade stiffness for my tropical wreck diving. I also picked up a second hand pair of DR XTs XL as a backup in the unlikely event of the OMS failing (it can take months to get new fins, or any gear, into the Sollies :facepalm:), blades are definately stiffer and I feel require a bit more muscle to move... Both brands fit very well, no issues with the foot pocket size and 6mm hard sole boots.

hmmm...

still have my DACOR TurboFlex (1988) that get used with dragging bottom for River drifts.

For my tech diving: Turtles, DR XT, Hollis F1 for dry (cold water) - listed in order of how I like them.

SP Grey Camo Jets (such a cool factor!) or FF for warm water (but purely recreational).

SP Jet Fins or Hollis F1 for Backmount
Dive Rite XT or Mares Avanti Quattro+ for Sidemount

Which fin used is based on exposure boot size.

When diving dry : Mares Avanti Power Plana. When diving wet : Force Fin Pro

Dived XL Slipstreams for years, until Deep 6 eddy fins came along. XL Eddy for cold water (drysuit doubles), S/M for warm water vacation.

Just to iterate from another thread...the Zeagle Recon fins are worthless for multi-cylinder diving. They’re OK with a twinset but as soon as I add a deco bottle, they turn to mush during frog kicks.

I use Mares quattros for singles and doubles with stages. I've had 2 sets of Jetfins and given them away both times. They seem lifeless and inefficient to me, so another case of different strokes for different folks.

I use Mares quattros for singles and doubles with stages. I've had 2 sets of Jetfins and given them away both times. They seem lifeless and inefficient to me, so another case of different strokes for different folks.

Choosing equipment is something very personal indeed, especially true for fins in my opinion : different habits, level of experience and training, and you can add body shape and stamina to the cocktail. Those fins might be ideal for your buddy and a true torture instrument for you.

I don't dislike Jetfins but I cannot say I'm a big fan. Moreover, there's always an underlying element of trend or fashion when equipment is concerned. I give you an example : 30 years ago, when I was taking my very first training (PADI OWD) I was strongly advised AGAINST Jetfins : they were for old timers sticking like limpets to the past and refusing progress :D

Nowadays they're all the rage once again o_O Crazy, isn't it ? :p

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom