Fins for tech diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just picked up a pair of Torpedo fins from Piranha Dive Mfg. They work great with back mount steel doubles and a drysuit.

DW

Backmount/Sidemount drysuit: Power Planas
Non drysuit/travel: ScubaPro Go Sport.

I use diverite xt (negatively buoyant) when diving dry/sidemount doubles. Deep6 eddy (neutral/slightly positive) when diving wetsuit or just shorts backmount single. I don't use backmount doubles.

It's an interesting thread, but the only way to know what works best for an individual and/or a particular set up is to try multiple fins and then decide. If you're lucky you can borrow several different pairs, if you're unlucky you end up buying several different pairs.

if you're unlucky you end up buying several different pairs.
I was unlucky. I own 4 other pairs of fins that I don't use. I used a pair of Mares x-stream for around my first 75 dives. In that time I got them replaced under warranty twice. Later, someone loaned me some XT's and I loved them. Bought my own and then bought a lighter replacement for the mares that was a bit more robust and provided a bit more power.

If you're lucky you can borrow several different pairs, if you're unlucky you end up buying several different pairs.

"SOB"....................................................I bought them all...and I still can't decide.

Drysuit: Hollis F1 (2# negative, in fresh water, size XL)

Wetsuit w/backmount doubles: Hollis F1 LT (1# negative in fresh water, size Regular)

Wetsuit, all others: Deep6 Gear Eddy fins (neutral in fresh water, size Large)

The Hollis and Deep6 fins have most comfortable foot pockets I have tried. And they work well for technical kicks and have decent power.

I tried Jet fins and they were not comfortable on my feet, and gave me leg cramps.

I tried Dive Rite XT fins. The foot pocket was very comfortable on those. But, they were so long and stiff it felt like I was on the verge of cramping the whole time. Also, they are 0.7# negative in fresh water (size Large). Neutral fins are better for me in most wetsuit configs. The heavier F1 LT fins are better for me in wetsuit with backmount double 120s.

My kids, who are both small, have used jets in single tanks since they were 10. Jets work for everything.

Man, I’m a loser.

You guys have a different pair shoes for every dance.

I dive some scuffed up Dive Rite XTs with my homely backmount twinset in a wetsuit.

I want to get a pair of the D6G Eddy fins because they’re super light but just as stiff as my XTs (maybe slightly stiffer). I’m a fan of stiff fins and I must be lucky in that I don’t cramp that way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom