Fins for diving currents?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HappyDvrGrl

Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a good fin for diving currents? I know, I know.... You are supposed to just sit back & relax in a current (aka drift dive).... But I was in the Maldives recently & was using my Atomic split fins.... Current was so strong & I felt like I had no control... Used the same fins for my Rescue class--BAD maneuver. Turned into the laughing stock during the "tired diver tow" in some swells--seemed to be kicking but going no where. (I am also very petite-- 5.2 at 93 lbs-- towing a 200 lb man, which could have been part of the problem-- when all else fails, blame the fins, ha ha.) And don't even think about frog kicking or backing up with the split fins!

Looking for a fin that gives me some power with out wearing me out after 25 yds (remember, Hotshot 200 lb dive boys-- I am petite.) Ability to frog kick & back up a plus too. What about the Apollo bios? I know they are split but maybe more power that Atomics in heavy currents?

I used to dive a lot with this gal who would up and leave me behind with my Mares Planas. She was using Avanti Quattros. (Mares) Nice fins. I now have a pair too.

The fin that you are looking for is the Tusa Tri-ex, SF-6.
Oh, crap. Didn't notice you are female. Try the Oceanic Caribe. Will not tire you and you will love them. Highly rated.

Find yourself a pair of the old aqualung blades. I have two pairs. If you are interested we have several pairs at the shop. Only thing is they are pink. PM me for more info. Don't have any pics handy but do a search on ebay and there are usually a few pairs on there. What we have will be similar but hot pink and black in color. I believe we have medium and small. PS fill in your profile so we know more about you and your experience. And Welcome to the board. and I'd advise against the caribe even though we are oceanic dealers. The caribe is a full foot fin. The current fin by them is the vector a new one called the viper is coming out but not for a month or so at least. Jim

Hey HappyDvrGrl,

I'm about your size and use Avanti X-3s. I've used them for a variety of different dives, including drifts and they have never given me cramps or too little power. I do however, second the Avanti Quatro suggestion. They surely hold all the benefits of the X-3, but appear to have a sturdier buckle system, one on my X-3s came appart while diving and my buddy had to perform a quick u/w repair.

Good luck finding what you need.

The "blades", especially the new ones, are known as too stiff by a measure. She needs to stay away from them at all costs. There is nothing wrong with a FF fin. A sock or boot will slip into them easily and there are no cockamamy plastic buckles and straps to break. The X-3 is OK if she wants a strap, stay away from the Quattro. I can't do anything about the X3 buckle problem. Almost all those plastic buckles, regardless of brand, are junk. Ask Scubalab. That test they did in 2004 kept them up to their eyeballs in "field engineering".

Happydvr, I think I found the "strap" version of the Caribe. It is the Oceanic Vector. I suggest you try a pair of each at your LDS pool, if possible. The data from Scubalab 2005 tests are impressive. With luck, you will find a size to fit. Guessing that may be a problem in your weight category.

Can't go wrong with ScubaPro Jets...:wink:

Unfortunately fins are like every other piece of equipment... you don't know if it's crap until you've used it, hated it, and then found something better. Your best bet is to buy something sturdy that will last, while not breaking the bank.

Try borrowing someone elses before you buy... if you can!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom