Fins for currents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pughio83

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys,

I currently am using tusa xpert zoom split fins for my diving , which has generally been for photography/muck/macro dives. They are light and have served me well when travelling. However a downcurrent in Palau showed them to not be ideal perhaps in strong currents.

I have a weeks diving nusa /lembongan next month and I was wondering if anyone can recommend so quality fins that will serve me well in currents. I feel the split fins full foot may not be enough.

Info much appreciated!

My Scuba Pro twin jets work great. When I was doing my advanced dives we had HORRIBLE currents and two people were using the Scuba Pro seawing fins and they said they were even better. They are not cheap, but I've heard from 4 or 5 people now that those fins give you a lot of power.

Current = free diver fins, long, full foot paddles.

N

What about the force fins? I have heard they are good, although pricey! Have been looking at scuba pro jets, Volos, slingshot. Force fins get nothing but good reviews, just trying to pluck courage to pay £170 for them plus star strap!

Scubapro Jet Fins no doubt...accept no substitutes!

I own Jetfins, Mares quatros and a nifty carbon fiber set of long fins.

I disagree with Jetfins for heading in to a steady current. I own a pair, like them but can see how many people could get fatigued/cramped having to use them going in to more than 1knot current on a regular basis- I wouldn't use them here in the channels. They are excellent for getting from A to B quickly but many people would get cramps using them for longer stretches. Depends a lot on your own stamina and technique of course.

The best fin for current is a freediving longfin. They are however horrible to travel with.
Mares Quattro for me are the best all-rounders for comfort, price, use etc.

i sometimes get cramp in my quads so something that is going to increase cramping risk is not ideal for me, though i am generally quite fit. Im looking for a fin that will make life a bit easier in strong currents, but need to keep weight down also for travel, and these super long fins are a bit too long for my bag. Hence why i was looking at these force fins. mares quattro has also been in my mind so maybe will re look at those. thanks for the info

Take a look at the SP Seawing Gorillas. Very light, plenty of power and easy on the legs.

regular dives : nil to slow current : full foot fins medium length, frog finning with glide and
Mild current : with some effort : full foot fins , flutter kick
0188_1_V01_C01_H_220.jpg

dives with expected current : fins with fin strap ,
0013_1_V01_C01_H_220.jpg

STRENOUS DIVE (entire dive as planned)
main-SF-5000_main.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom