Fins for bad ankles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mooch4289

Registered
Reaction score
My wife recently had ankle surgery and while she is able to walk/run and do most things, her current fins hurt her ankle quite a bit whenever we have to do a lot of kicking. Without trying to start a split fins vs. non-split debate, are there any particular brands that are less straining on the ankles?

Good for healing and physiotherapy or maybe not.
Speak with a diving health care professional.

as a general statement .. split fins seam to be the most common suggestion here for bad hips, knees, ankles
I know that the slightest movement (hardly noticeable) of mine causes forward propulsion (Atomic, Liquid Blue)

MARES VOLO - you can't beat them - no leg cramps, easy to swim with - they feel like you have no fins on, yet work in strong currents with less effort. I dive with them and have dove in Galapagos twice, Cocos Island and Palau (Blue Corner and Pelieu Point) - known for very strong currents and that was so true.

I would think the Split fins may work better for her or cause less pain. I own a Piar of Atomic's Smoke on the Waters and for split fins I guess they are ok, I also have a pair of scubapro twin jets for my G/F she has same feeling. Best thing to do is go to your LDS an try out a few pair's both splits and blade as each fin will have a differnt feel.

Also different kick styles may help such as frog kicking more and less flutter.

Overall, I'd bet she'd do well - ankle pain aside - to simple S-L-O-W down whatever her current kick-style is, with whatever her current fins are.

There's not a diver alive who's diving will not improve by slowing down.

Also different kick styles may help such as frog kicking more and less flutter.

Agree, though specific technique would be dependand on what kind of ankle injury/surgery and what is causing the pain. For example a "full leg" frog kick might actually put more strain on the ankle with each individual kick-cycle, though the total number of kick-cycles would be less. A modified frog (ankles and calves) would require more ankle rotation than the full-leg version, but would deliver very little force to the ankle on each kick. Perhaps a modified flutter? However, frog kick does provides for a more relaxed "kick-and-glide" type of propulsion which might be less strenuous than a constant flutter, etc, etc...

Either way, I would certainly try changing kick-style as a first shot vs buying new fins, especially if the issue has potential to be short-term.

Another option if you are not aware how to properlly execute different techniques is visit your LDS and maybe they offer a Finning Clinic as mine does. The shop I trained with offers this class and will even Video record what your doing right/wrong they evalute and go back in. Well worth the time/money and will also allow you to try different fins to see what works best. Again discuss your concerns 1st and see what they say

We'll definitely try out the different kicking style. The surgery was a year and a half ago, so the healing portion is done. Unfortunately, it's going to be a long-term issue... Thanks for the pointers so far!

Good for healing and physiotherapy or maybe not.
Speak with a diving health care professional.

mooch4289,

I concur with knowone. A foot surgeon reading this wouldn't have enough information about your wife's physical trauma to suggest something. The wrong choice could easily harm her recovery and turn it into a long term limitation.

A good physical therapist with a diving or swimming background is probably your best option to recommend fins, exercises, and cautions for her. You might see if there are any sports medicine clinics in your area that provide therapy or make a recommendation. Failing that, check with the local collage sports departments for knowledgeable therapists.

I use Apollo bio fins (split) and now cannot deal with paddle fins. They are slightly negatively bouyant, but so comfortable, I once knocked one off without realizing it was gone and so easily generate propulsion that I can zoom past those much younger and fitter. I saw something somewhat interesting at BTS in March from OmerSub. They have a longer, free dive fin that has a shoe attached. Think ski boots and skiing, only it's more like a sneaker attached to a fin. I thought it could make sense in terms of tiring, but couldn't get beyond how silly they look.

Back
Top Bottom