FINS, FINS, and more FINS!!! Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I looked at those but ruled them out because I have read where they were cracking in the middle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

What about ScubaPro Gorillas? Crazy thrust. Buoyancy-wise positive, very light.

These are my warm water travel fins. Look odd, but work well and light for luggage. Have had them for a year or so with no obvious wear.

Are you frog or flutter kicking, or a combination? I rarely do anything other than a frog kick these days, and love my OMS Slipstreams, Jets if I'm diving dry.

Both...depending on what I am doing and where I am at. Mostly a frog but do a modified flutter.

Also look for Mares Power Plana. I have never seen a pair in person nor seen them for sale where I live. But if they are as comfortable as Quattros and kick like Jet style fins without being as negative as Jets / F1's then they would be my ideal all round fin.

Power Plana - Open Heel - Mares

My tech instructor recommended these and I demo'ed them. They were great! I use F1s, but these would be good for travel...

I think overall for what you describing the Jet fin is still the best option out there. The only other one you might try are Turtles. They are a tad shorter, wider, and they are fairly flexible. They are similar to the Jets with vents and a one material construction (black rubber).
I tried F1's and wasn't crazy on them, I still like Jets better.
Some of those Jet knock-offs don't work as well as one would expect, especially if they are fairly stiff. The jets just seem to have the right combo of everything and so many different kick styles can be used. I do long surface swims too in Northern California and I use a wide frog kick on the surface many times when I cruise face down. The regular scissor kick in Jets isn't the most effective kick for that fin, many people forget that when they rate them.
I do many other styles including putting both fins together like a mono fin and doing a slow porpoise kick and also a toe flip kick which works really well for slow steady cruising off the bottom about 5' to 8' up. It keeps your body in a straight line and keeps everything within a tight slipstream.
You can do very fine sculling motions with Jets for many different precision movements which most other fins can't do.

I used to use a pair of Jets but lost one and well it was time to replace them after 20+ years. . . . Does anyone have a good idea what I can use or should I just go with another pair of Jets?
It sounds like you are going to get a new set of fins, and want to see if there is anything better - for you - than Jets, 20 years later. Makes sense. One question - is / was there anything about your Jets that you DID NOT like? If not, then you probably will be well-served by going that way again. My sense is that Jets have remained popular just because no other fin has come out as a clear, superior, replacement.

I have tried a lot of fins over the years, and ended up using Quattros for single cylinder recreational diving, and Jets for doubles / drysuit diving - as much for buoyancy characteristics as for propulsion / thrust. The only fin that has attracted my attention in the past several years has been the Dive Rite EXP - I tried a pair several months ago, and I really liked them - as a possible replacement for my Quattros. They had great thrust and similar buoyancy characteristics. I will probably pick up a pair based on that experience.

Based on comments on SB from Dan Volker, among others, I am also looking at some freedive fins. Problem is, finding freedive fins with open heel pockets is getting tough.

I agree on the free diving fins..if I was just doing reefs...but alas I want more..lol. Nothing turned me off of the Jets. I just haven't had anything else. I am looking for something a little easier on the legs though. I found a place about 40 minutes away that has the dive rite XT and I am heading that way in just a few minutes. I will know Saturday if I made a $140 mistake. ..lol

---------- Post added August 8th, 2014 at 07:23 PM ----------

so I went to the shop. Took one of my sons with me because he is going to need new fins as I said before. Tried one a few different ones. The F1's and DR XT's fit the best. I bought the DR's and I am going back next friday and picking up the Bat's for him. We wear the same size so we can swap:D

---------- Post added August 8th, 2014 at 07:24 PM ----------

Thanks for all the opinions. It was a great help.

After seeing TSandM's post about her trying and liking the Mares tech fin I might have to look into it. I googled an image and liked what I saw.
I'm still always looking for a better fin than the Jet but so far I can't find one.

keller34, let us know how you like the DR XT's, I'm curious.

Back
Top Bottom