Finning problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k.davis11

Reaction score
I posted this five days ago in another thread but have had no replies so thought I would start a separate thread.

I have just got back from the Similan Islands where I found the current, especially at Richelieu Rock, too much for me and someone had to give me a helpful push on more than one occasion.

At the moment I am using Cressi fins which have been OK up to now but were absolutely exhausting on this trip. I put it down to my age as I am 71 but now I wonder if much of the problem was the fins.

My finning technique is the modified flutter, I cannot do the frog kick as my ankles wont take the bending any more. My legs are not strong which is why I bought the smaller fins to start with but I am now wondering whether split fins are the way to go for me. What do you think?

Split fins would probably help. But you will need to change your fin kicks from typical paddle fin. Split fins work efficiently and effectively which fast and short kicks.

If you prefer full foot fins, may want to consider Ocean Vortex V6. For open heel, have been told that Atomic makes good ones.

Hope this helps. More members out there should be able to provide you with lots more comments.

Ciao,

k.davis11:
I am now wondering whether split fins are the way to go for me. What do you think?

I think it's definitely worth a go. I would also get an experienced diver to watch you in the water and see if your technique isn't the problem.

R..

Hi k.davis11,

I can only hope that I can dive at your age, I'm very impressed. Being of a asian built, I don't have the power to use longer more powerful fins and so I'm using split fins till I improve my strenght.

As for what you can try I would definately go for split fins:
1. Apollo Bio Blue
2. Atomics Aquatics reef fin
3. Force Foil fin

In fact if you can adapt your finning technique and use your thighs then the force fins may be fins you can consider.

I've all 3 fins well 2 as the Atomics is my girlfriend's fin. I'm yet to test out my excellerating force fin but all these fins are great.

Cheers,

SangP

k.davis11:
At the moment I am using Cressi fins which have been OK up to now but were absolutely exhausting on this trip. I put it down to my age as I am 71 but now I wonder if much of the problem was the fins.

My finning technique is the modified flutter, I cannot do the frog kick as my ankles wont take the bending any more. My legs are not strong which is why I bought the smaller fins to start with but I am now wondering whether split fins are the way to go for me. What do you think?

I have a pair of the Atomic Liquid Blue split fins, and I find they are *very* efficient for flutter and variations of flutter kicks, across a broad range of motion (big sweeping kicks to little toe kicks) and some others (e.g., dolphin). They are not optimally designed for many other finning techniques, although you can figure out some others if you want to work at it. They have very long blades well adapted for straight-ahead finning and ordinary turns, less well suited for turning tight corners in tight spaces.

If I wanted to maintain position in the face of a current, or swim against a current in an unconfined space, I think they are excellent. There are small variations among the Atomic split fins with respect to stiffness, etc., but I am only familiar with the Liquid Blues. I think they're a pretty relaxed fin, and that's what I got them for - easy and efficient finning in unconfined spaces.

You don't feel the resistance that you would with a stiff paddle like a JetFin, and that can be deceiving - you may not feel that you're "pushing" through the water even when you are moving along better than you would using a paddle fin with the same effort.

Thanks for the replies guys it looks like its the split fins then.

Incidentally I went to the gym for a discussion and have signed up for course on general fitness and strengthening of my legs. They seem quite happy about my age and my doctor recommended them.

A combination of the two seems to be the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom