Finning Backwards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The easiest way to learn the back kick seems to be to start in a swimming pool with no gear at all. Work on the mechanics with your bare feet -- extend your feet and legs, toes pointed, and then try to "scoop" water with the tops of your feet. You'll be suprised how quickly you end up moving backwards, and when you can do it very reliably, try it again (on the surface with a kickboard or something) with a set of fins. When you can swim laps backwards on the surface, then put on scuba gear and try it.

A few warnings: The back kick is very trim-dependent. If your feet are above your body, you won't move well backward, but more backward and up (the "shrimp dance").

It is very tempting to use the knees in the "scoop" maneuver (which is one of the reasons it's good to learn this on the surface). This results in the "humping the dog" kick.

This is an extremely difficult kick to learn in anything but a simple paddle fin with a reasonable degree of stiffness. Expect a great deal of frustration if you are using anything else.

How about taking a GUE Fundies class? :)

How about taking a GUE Fundies class? :)

In my personal experience GUE fundies was a useless waste of time to learn the back kick. It took sixth months of trying and finally one day it was there. The best tips on doing it well came from ScubaBoard. A handy skill once you have it. You really do need to remain in trim while doing this which essentially comes down keeping your thighs and torso in a horizontal plane through out the kick. Keeping you head up an making sure you are not dynamically tilting relative to a visual reference can let you know if you are doing it right.

Really?? My experience is the opposite. I did my fundie when I had less than 30 dives experience. I didn't know how to back kick before taking the class. After the 4-day course, although my back kick was not perfect yet, I was equipped with the required knowledge to how to execute a perfect back kick.

I think GUE has gotten much better at teaching this kick than they were eight years ago, when I took the class. Then, most people were lucky even to get a little glimpse of backward movement. Now, most people get some of the kick.

Between the land exercises (aka picnic table finning) and the video playback, it's great feed back on how you're doing.

While one mark of success is to simply be able to move backwards in the water column, doing it more efficiently is even better.

Last time I looked, it was very hard to see myself under water even with a mirror :wink:

Video playback is fairly useless if you have nothing constructive to say based on the playback. Hopefully they have improved their methods. It has been awhile so at least potentially they may have. My class consisted of a single demonstration, and one chance to perform yourself. There was nothing useful offered on how to improve.

I am a very visual person so I try to get someone to video me demonstrating various finning techniques... I then compare my technique to others whose skills I try to emulate... For example, Steve Bogaerts has crazy finning skills... Steve Bogaerts Sidemount Skills demo in a Razor Harness - YouTube

Since starting to do such video comparisons, I feel I have made significant improvement in my finning skills... I am now much more comfortable getting close to the subject during photography, having the confidence that I will not bump into them... Here is a video of my technique from a recent trip to the Caymans. Better but much more practice to do... Finning skills demonstration - YouTube

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom