Fingers crossed on this deal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thunder Struck

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Sippin' cholla juice under the shade of a mesquite
While skimming the Facebook marketplace I came across an ad for some gear that I couldn't pass up on. The add didn't have much in the way of details as while the person selling it had owned it for many, many years, he never used it. He had a business and he had gotten it in trade for product he was selling. The kit included a Scubapro Mk10 and G250 reg set, console w/ brass Scubapro SPG and depth gauge, a Scubapro branded Luxfer AL80, and a Scubapro Double Black BCD (with the rockin' teal accent colors) and (3rd gen?) Air 2 with the original red mouthpiece. For the listing price I thought it was stolen gear. But upon inspection, and learning how the owner had come into possession of it, which matched the appearance and condition of the gear, it appeared legit.

The cylinder's original hydro date was 1992. So not the 6351 alloy. But it was the only hydro date and its VI sticker was from 1993. No wear or tear on the painted finish of the tank. Just an inch of dust on top of it.

The regs appeared to have been hardly used. Not a scuff on the 2nd stage. A couple very light scratches on the 1st, but not through the chrome which was otherwise a mirror finish. I did notice that when dialing in the adjustment knob on the 2nd it started to flow air, but dialed out at least half way it stopped and worked fine. Serviced and tuned with new hoses I think it should make for a good reg for my kid.

The BCD was in great shape including the corrugated hose. Except that the plastic bits that are used to secure the the floppy/fold out pocket design were dry rotted and broke off when manipulated. I might be able to affix something to replace them. It'll need a new cam band as it has the old style non-velcro metal buckle that I can see popping loose if caught on something.

Dunked the whole kit in my pool and nothing leaks. My wife was somewhat bemused by me "riding" the tank and fully inflated BCD in the pool as I held it down looking for leaks. I figured the hoses would have bubbles forming, the air spool would be champagne leaking and the BCD would have bubbles all over it. Nothing.

I've dropped the regs and cylinder off at my local shop for servicing and hydro. Fingers crossed on the cylinder as it has been stored for the last 27 or so years with 2500 PSI in it.

So the tank is a bit of a roll of the dice, but even if it fails hydro, I still got a Mk10/G250 and a pretty cool looking retro BCD for the pool for a whopping $100.

lol, show us the cam band. It is probably one of the best ever made and super secure.. Not great for switching between different tank diameters, but great otherwise.

lol, show us the cam band. It is probably one of the best ever made and super secure.. Not great for switching between different tank diameters, but great otherwise.

Here ya go:

751E658E-8EF7-4B37-8EC0-623B6BD4EB73.jpegDF2D7C5A-C1C2-48DA-BA03-9DEE9BDF96FF.jpegAACFE4CD-B92A-4B3F-94A0-F0F2DBC7E9A0.jpeg

Yep, one of the best cam bands ever made! Don't switch it out.
While it seems quite strong it pops open without much effort. Fine for basic diving I suppose, but I’ve been caught by tall freshwater grass and kelp and it seems it be easy to break loose.

Dealing with an entanglement is one thing. An entanglement with the cam band, and your only one at that, popping open and leaving your tank loose will exponentially increase the task loading.

It is a bit of a pain to adjust tank sizes too. I flip flop tank sizes so it would be annoying.

But as a pool BC it’s likely fine as it is. It’ll go well with my US Divers Calypso.

LOL, it does not pop open. You just think it does when playing with it in your hands. When it is properly tightened around a round tank, it is EXTREMELY secure.

As for changing for different tank sizes- it is not THAT big of a deal. Way, way better than a plastic buckle on a normal cam band.

I have that cam band on my BCD. It NEVER loosens. I am the only guy in my crew who never has a tank shifting because of a loose cam band. It is a pain to adjust the size, but the only tanks I ever use it on are HP120 and AL 80. They have the same diameter, so it is a nonissue. It has never popped open in the seven or so years I have had it. Have it set pretty tight (I usually need to wet the band to get it closed). Opening it takes a tug on the buckle, not much, but more than you could do accidentally.

My dive buddy switched his cam band because he liked mine that much more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom