Fingers crossed for flights to Curacao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don’t know if the tests are feasible in the real world but it’s a move in the right direction, even a reasonable quarantine on return, meaning at home, would be tolerable. Protesting will make potential travelers feel safer I think.

Protesting will not help. :)

Dang it... Here I am in NY with a modest glimmer of hope, but... My ticket vouchers are from Canada, and the border remains closed. Word has it remaining that way to well into 2021...

My frustration continues...

Canada is also on the list Rob! Here's the thing the list has been expanded for obvious economic reasons. It has been tested for a few months with the Dutch coming in provided they have PCR tests 72 hours before flying so it does work. Of course there are limitations once on island but they are common sense ones that seem to be keeping us safe and the government obviously reserves the right to amend those depending on how we are coping. We have less than 30 intensive care beds on the island so it doesn't take a genius to do the math. Erm, who is protesting? :)

Ok, so I've had the night to think about it. Y'all need to start lobbying the airlines social media accounts, multiple one's if you can BUT we can not be like Aruba where they made the mistake of not insisting on PCR tests before the passengers got on the plane hence their terrible incident and death rate. Our government have done an awesome job keeping the population safe and continue to do so with the extremely difficult challenge of keeping the economy going. We can NOT allow the virus to explode on our beautiful island so PCR TESTS 72 HOURS BEFORE FLYING IS CRITICAL! Is this feasable in the real world?

Roatan required the 72-hour PCR test and found it was not feasible. It's just a fact that getting PCR results back in the 1-2 days before departure is not likely for the average person. Roatan had a page where you could search US testing sites that were approved. I looked at 5 or 6 and all of them said "1-2 days, up to 10 days". Sorry, I cannot book a $2000 trip with that much uncertainty. There is literally no margin for error or delay.

I think they also had issues with most people just seeing "tests" and showing up with the rapid test results. Last week, they updated the rules to allow rapid test results.

Roatan required the 72-hour PCR test and found it was not feasible. It's just a fact that getting PCR results back in the 1-2 days before departure is not likely for the average person. Roatan had a page where you could search US testing sites that were approved. I looked at 5 or 6 and all of them said "1-2 days, up to 10 days". Sorry, I cannot book a $2000 trip with that much uncertainty. There is literally no margin for error or delay.

I think they also had issues with most people just seeing "tests" and showing up with the rapid test results. Last week, they updated the rules to allow rapid test results.

And nor would we want you to despite no on charging for changes and so on. This relates to the recent changes for Curacao from Canada and the Tri State area. It looks like you live in Houston which is not quite so under control as the places just mentioned if I am not mistaken? It may be quicker to take the tests in these areas due to the lower incidents of the virus? Just throwing it out there. I don't live there so I'm not sure what the procedures or wait times are. Trying to be optimistic in unoptimistic times. Forgive me!

Yes the thread started about one area but as other areas come into play it will be an ongoing issue. I'm not really sure where Houston stands as I quit tracking the "new cases" daily numbers long ago. I know we're down significantly from the summer spike. Day to day life seems pretty normal albeit with masks and many bars are still closed (but many open by having "food"). I don't know who all these people are testing positive because I don't know anyone who has had it. Just googled, looks like Harris county had 377 new cases yesterday. I don't see that as a big problem for an area population of 4 million. 1 in 10,000. By contrast, google says Curacao had 27 new cases, with a pop. of 160,000 that is 1 in 6000.

Interestingly, Cozumel has been open to all of USA since June, without any testing, and seems to have not seen any increases due to it. I spent two weeks there last month and know at least a dozen people who have been there.

Back
Top Bottom