Finger Spool Uses: Most Common

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I carry a lift bag in addition to a SMB(I hate the word "sausage") to act as a lift for my camera rigs to get rid of them to the surface during shoots. The reel (Halcyon) has 400ft of line and allows me to ditch equipment to the surface from deep to the waiting boat above. A spool/reel and a lift bag also allow you to shoot a lift bag to operate as a 2ndry lift device for either hanging deco or wing/bc failure.

buddy line if needed
jon line
shoot a bag
lost buddy drill
search and recovery
gap reel
safety reel
spare line for a thousad uses
use to secure gear to small boat if you need to take off to enter the boat (zodiac, RIB, kayak)

Excuse the newbie question, but other than cave diving and connecting a sausage marker to the diver, what are the most common and significant uses for a basic finger spool?

As my buddy found yesterday, they are useful for lowering a "bent" computer back down to 30' from your 20' stop when it's not happy with you leaving 30' a few seconds early.

:D

As my buddy found yesterday, they are useful for lowering a "bent" computer back down to 30' from your 20' stop when it's not happy with you leaving 30' a few seconds early.

:D

:rofl3:

Since I am a local diver to the OP, I can not imagine diving without my safety gear that includes a spool pre-rigged to a SMB. 95% of the dives it never gets used, but it is there if I need it. Sometimes we practice deployment. I have used it boat diving in 2 feet of vis to find our way back to the anchor. Two weeks ago we dove Arena Rock and the vis was so bad, we hit the bottom and called the dive. The only way to venture off the anchor would have been a spool or even better a reel. I had both, but choose to end the dive and move to a different spot, where we found up to 15' of vis.

FWIW even though the spools come with a 100' of line, in order to get a double ender clipped onto it you have to pull at least 20' back off the spool. This works great since you can use the remants for making all kinds of tied off connections.

Back
Top Bottom