finger spool line in 2 pieces?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jspeybro

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

I just purchased a finger spool with 50m of line on it. I was checking if the end of the line was actually fixed to the spool (you never know...). This seemed to be the case, but when I was putting the line back on the spool, I noticed an irregularity in the line after some 15 meters. Taking a closer look, it seemed that there were actually 2 pieces of line that were molted together to make a 50m line. There was no knot so I pulled both ends to check if this was strong enough or not.
I didn't need much force for the line to brake at this 'molten' part :shocked2:.

What would you guys do with this? just tie both ends together and use it or would you discard the shorter end, which would give me about 30-35m of line on the spool. Could a knot in the line cause problems when deploying an SMB from depth?

Johan

If it was purchased new I'd ask the seller to exchange it.

A knot probably wouldn't cause a problem but why take the chance?

I bought it at an exhibition so returning it will be difficult since I don't know the shops' name.

If you purchased it at a local shop, I'd try bringing it back to the shop and see if they'll exchange it for another spool. I would suspect that during manufacturing they occasionally come to the end of line before 50m. Rather than discard the 'extra' bit they fuse a new spool of line to the existing line and continue to build 50m spools.

If the spool was ordered online, it will probably cost almost as much to ship the spool back as it would to purchase another spool (or a spool of line).

If you don't need the full 50m and can work with the shorter length then I see no reason to just work with the shorter length.

If you felt you might need the full 50m occasionally then you could splice the two pieces together. Having a knot in the middle of the line is a failure point however. The last thing you want is to be using the line and having it separate at the knot.

Another option would be to go to a hardware store and purchase a new spool of line.

Well, I figured it would probably cost more to try and return it, so I think I'll keep it.
I bought the 50m because I think I might need it occasionally.

regarding the potential failure point, at the moment I feel more confident with a knot than a spliced line. Apparently it was spliced, and that wasn't strong enough, but I think it wasn't done really good.

I guess I'll just start using the longest part and get a longer one later if I still think I need the 50m.

thanks for the answers

Johan

I'd be pulling hard on that entire length of line or replacing it. "Glueing" 2 ends together is cheezy, who knows if they did that someplace else but did a more discrete but equally weak job.

The spools of line I buy are continuous and much much longer than 50m (like 1200m)

I'd cut out that melted section and tie a solid double fishermans knot into it. Definitely check the rest to make sure there aren't other weak/ questionable spots in it.

I bought it at an exhibition so returning it will be difficult since I don't know the shops' name.

Tie a good square knot in it--ought to be fine...

I'd cut the line and make a 35m spool and then buy another spool and put my own 50m on it. I'd also test the rest of that line as well. A knot is a failure point.

Hello,

I just purchased a finger spool with 50m of line on it. I was checking if the end of the line was actually fixed to the spool (you never know...). This seemed to be the case, but when I was putting the line back on the spool, I noticed an irregularity in the line after some 15 meters. Taking a closer look, it seemed that there were actually 2 pieces of line that were molted together to make a 50m line. There was no knot so I pulled both ends to check if this was strong enough or not.
I didn't need much force for the line to brake at this 'molten' part :shocked2:.

What would you guys do with this? just tie both ends together and use it or would you discard the shorter end, which would give me about 30-35m of line on the spool. Could a knot in the line cause problems when deploying an SMB from depth?

Johan

Was his name Keith?
eyebrow.gif

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom