DIR- GUE Finding teammates after failing fundamentals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't mind diving with people fresh out of an OW course.

Actually, I am slightly more experienced. I have AOW and even Master Scuba Diver certs. I am a really good and a cool diver, I did "Underwater Basket Weaving" specialty as part of the specialties for the MSD.

Probably too cold for a wetsuit. Ask Bob Sherwood if he has any rental drysuits. BTW, Bob and Heison are 2 of the best instructors you will ever meet
Having said that, of course the temp is more suited to a drysuit, but it really depends on your own tolerance.
I think I'll just do a drysuit course and buy a drysuit. I'll skip this one but if they do one more later in the year, I'll definitely be there. Thanks for the suggestion!

I think I'll just do a drysuit course and buy a drysuit. I'll skip this one but if they do one more later in the year, I'll definitely be there. Thanks for the suggestion!

I’m not sure if you have a good relationship with a shop, but I’d talk to Bob about a drysuit. He can get you setup with the order and then provide the GUE drysuit primer if you’re interested. One stop shop :wink:

I’m not sure if you have a good relationship with a shop, but I’d talk to Bob about a drysuit. He can get you setup with the order and then provide the GUE drysuit primer if you’re interested. One stop shop :wink:
+1. That is definitely a good plan.

I would definitely dive/train with him again if given the chance. But this is all a moot point, I'll need at least a year or two of training with teammates before I can get to a point I can go through this again.
You're really overestimating what it takes to pass Fundamentals, at least at the recreational level. Doing a huge amount of practice on your own is more likely to engrain bad habits than to really develop the skills you need. Just do a few sessions with your buddies focusing on trim and buoyancy control, and then take the class again. Experiment with your gear configuration, maybe try some lighter fins or move a few pounds of weight up higher on your rig. You don't need perfection.
To answer your original question, many of us GUE trained divers are happy to do skills practice with divers who haven't passed Fundamentals yet as long as it's at a safe, shallow site. Or better yet, if possible hire a GUE instructor to spend a day working with you 1:1 on your problem areas then go back and repeat the course.
This stuff is really not that hard. I mean you're not exactly preparing for Navy SEAL hell week or something.

It is probably a GUE requirement.
GUE standards don't require any particular fin. They only have to be rigid and non-split. There are other fins available which are less negatively buoyant but still comply with standards. If you're not sure whether a particular piece of gear will be acceptable then check with your instructor before the course.

I have just one question: why did you swap your excellent Nova fins with outdated, crap jet fins?
Was it suggested by the instructor, or you just did think that they were the "do it right" thing?
You know how much I enjoy your posts and the great respect I have for you, but let me point out that calling something "crap" without (1) an objective analysis of advantages and disadvantages and (2) understanding the needs of the diver is just not beneficial for others :)

Although less efficient with some type of kicking, rigid non-split fins are way more precise than split/flexible fins. This is particularly beneficial with back kicks, helicopter turns, and modified kicks. Besides, although less efficient, using them is definitely not too much of an effort whenever high power is unnecessary. Frankly speaking, I can think of very few conditions when high power is a must - like a strong current; but a physically well-trained diver can easily use rigid non-split fins even in high current situations. So, if precision is important and the diver is in good shape, rigid non-split fins are definitely the best choice "almost always" (there will always be exceptions). Given that the most significant difference among various rigid non-split fins is buoyancy, as others pointed out, calling jet fins "crap" is at least misleading. Then, again, they are absolutely too negative in this specific case, and other options might be more optimal.

Between "crap jet fins" and "excellent nova fins," if I wear a drysuit, there is no doubt "crap jet fins" are the way to go for me. If I am wet diving, there is no point in using negative fins, but surely I would not go for the nova or other split/non-rigid ones. Precision is so much fun that losing it does not make sense.

I understand it's a matter of personal preference, so feel free to use what you want - no judgment at all. But it would help much more to present advantages and disadvantages objectively and let others make their choices instead of giving judgments without explaining why :)

Peace & love, and dive safe!

You're really overestimating what it takes to pass Fundamentals, at least at the recreational level. Doing a huge amount of practice on your own is more likely to engrain bad habits than to really develop the skills you need.
You're probably right! In any case, I won't take it again this year - it takes 5 days of vacation and I don't want to spend most of my vacation this year taking GUE classes :) I might try to do part 1 & part 2 over two consecutive weekends if that can be arranged, but we'll see.

My wife and I found that taking the course over two weekends (or at least with some time in the middle) helps to reduce the fatigue (both physical and mental) that doing it in one continuous go takes on you. YMMV.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom