DIR- GUE Finding teammates after failing fundamentals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is an active North East community, and a new but growing Mid-Atlantic community. Many are loosely organized through Facebook groups, but all it takes is a post "Anyone want to go diving?"

Just to add more detail to this, I know of active divers in Massachusetts and upstate New York (1,000 Islands Region)

Northeast Underwater Explorers and Massachusetts Underwater Explorers both are on Facebook. None of the groups are super active but they’re a great place to meet people and connect.

—EDIT—

MAUE https://m.facebook.com/groups/482460865266030/

Do you happen to have a link?
Here are a few communities in the region - follow a bunch as a little cross community fun is always good!
ECUE East Coast Underwater Explorers - ECUE - East Coast Underwater Explorers | Facebook
Northeast Underwater Explorers - NEUE-Northeast Underwater Explorers | Facebook
MAUE Massachusetts Underwater Explorers - MAUE - Massachusetts Underwater Explorers | Facebook
Mid-Atlantic Underwater Explorers - Mid-Atlantic Underwater Explorers (MidAUE) | Facebook
Midwest Underwater Explorers - Midwest Underwater Explorers (MWUE) | Facebook

Fundies was tough.. but fun. I struggled with the math but that's a story for another time. I would dive with you. We are all beginners once. Honestly I still have a lot to learn. Don't give up and you will overcome all those issue. Time in the water will pay out.

I failed Fundies back in 2009. I only had about 25 dives when I did the course, and I learned a lot, despite not passing. I would have been very disappointed if they had passed me, as I knew my skills weren't quite there. The course has shaped my diving since then, and I have done lots of diving with other GUE divers, who have been great mentors.

Like the other GUE-divers here, in my opinion this does not constitute "Failing" Fundies.
In a very short amount of time, a quite substantial increase in taskload and motorskills is introduced into your dives. Add to that "test-pressure" and nerves and the techpass might feel infinitely far ahead.
Here in Norway we used to say that Putting your gear for sale around day 3 was quite common. Usually things fall into place.

You say that you might need another year or two to get to the pass level. I would like you to keep in mind a few things.

Was there a significant difference in skills between you and the other two? Diving in a team of three where 1 is at a significantly different skill level (IE provisional vs techpass) can be extremely challenging for all three. Your instructor might have taken you out of the extra two dives to see if the other divers skills were influenced by you, or if they had a different level.

Keep in mind that by day 4 or 5, you have had looong days. Both mentally and physically. You might actually have been at a point where your body just could not retain/process more. Learning/teaching is impared. You had a very good last day. Your instructor might have seen that this was a point to actually end on a reasonable high and not push you to fail and cause a "dent in motivation".

You might even be surprised if you go out for a dive with another GUE diver, and your excercises a week or two from now. A rested mind and body might have processed the information and cause you to a higher degree of mastery.

In my personal opinion, there are only a few things that will cause me to not dive with you. (And it happens to be agency independent) If we dive together, we dive together. I will be there for you, you intend to be there for me. So... if you flat out ditch me under water... I wont dive with you again.
We analyse our gas, and respect the mod (Wether it be 1,4 or 1,2 or whatever number you agree upon) If you have a Deeper MOD, I assume you will respect mine, as I would yours if yours were shallower.
We make a plan, and dive the plan. (It can be as easy as 32, NDL, Go down, Get up, have an ice cream/beer whatever tickles your fancy, or it can be elaborate and take 2 weeks to plan.. )
In other words, my buddys skills have never been a reason for not wanting to dive with them. Attitude has.

I couldn't find anything about what gear you were in, but single-tank 3mm and jets sound like a challenge. And while some NON-GUE chatter here muttered something about "equipment solution to a skills problem", a thinking GUE diver will acknowledge that having the right tool for the job is a good thing. IE, if you are TOP heavy, as most will be in doubles, heavy jets will make sense. If you are bottom heavy, (Single tank, little/none exposure protection) a neutral set of fins might be the tool for the job. However, the standard as detailed in Appendix A is a rigid, non-split fin. Whether it is neutral or heavy is up to you and your needs.

Good luck, and don't be surpriced if the skills "just work" some day in the near future!

@overthinking_diver, out of curiosity, did you get a fail or a provisional?

By the way, if you got a fail because of bad attitude - that would probably be a red flag for me, or at least a warning. But the way you describe the situation, I wouldn't have any issue diving with you. And I am sure this is quite a common approach - see here:
In my personal opinion, there are only a few things that will cause me to not dive with you. (And it happens to be agency independent) If we dive together, we dive together. I will be there for you, you intend to be there for me. So... if you flat out ditch me under water... I wont dive with you again.
We analyse our gas, and respect the mod (Wether it be 1,4 or 1,2 or whatever number you agree upon) If you have a Deeper MOD, I assume you will respect mine, as I would yours if yours were shallower.
We make a plan, and dive the plan. (It can be as easy as 32, NDL, Go down, Get up, have an ice cream/beer whatever tickles your fancy, or it can be elaborate and take 2 weeks to plan.. )
In other words, my buddys skills have never been a reason for not wanting to dive with them. Attitude has.

About your fins, nothing to add more than this:
IE, if you are TOP heavy, as most will be in doubles, heavy jets will make sense. If you are bottom heavy, (Single tank, little/none exposure protection) a neutral set of fins might be the tool for the job. However, the standard as detailed in Appendix A is a rigid, non-split fin. Whether it is neutral or heavy is up to you and your needs.

Drop me a message whenever you come to Sicily :)

Something to remember about GUE, UTD etc etc - you can be a great diver without doing one of their courses. I started diving in 1984, all of my dive courses were PADI apart from my rebreather courses, and nobody has grumbled about my skills - or lack of. When I was an active instructor I was trusted to teach movie and TV stars, sporting stars etc.

Have I ever felt the need to do a Fundies course - no, because I like to be able to think freely for myself rather than being told that I have to have this equipment, have to dive this way etc. -
This is my issue with the dir forum being open to anyone. You didn’t need to post this. You could keep it to yourself. This is the dir forum so people here are interest3d in dir and gue. Just because you don’t like the rules that come with gue doesn’t mean others don’t like them. So next time just browse and then don’t bother posting if it’s going to be pointless, unhelpful commentary.
Nobody said you can’t be a great diver without gue. I started diving in 91. I’ve been technical and cave diving 15 or more years. I took fundies and enjoyed it. I’m also taking cave 1 even though I’ve been a cave diver 10 years. So to each their own, but next time just keep the unhelpful stuff to yourself.

I wish Pete would reconsider and make this opt-in again. Too many non dir people see these pop up in the new thread list and have to have diarrhea of the mouth about gue and it’s “rigidness”.

fundies is probably the first course you have taken where you actually goT your moneys worth.
from the sounds of your issues you need to start with the gear you are diving. your suit should fit properly and any weight should be moved around to achieve perfect horizontal trim. ThIS may mean you will have to spend some money on the right stuff to achieve this. Next adjust you harness to move the rig up or down to dial in your natural trim. go for a dive stop and observe do my feet sink? do they float? record this in your wet notes and adjust accordingly. Buy the GUE book dress for success and follow the recipe for perfect trim .
if you are fighting the gear you will never improve,

any way i always say YOU GOT TO BE ****** TO GET BETTER.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom