Finding instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maoli

New
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hello, I did a dive during last summer, and I was fascinated by it. I was left with a desire to do more, and I'm wondering about the certifications. I have a couple doubts I was hoping someone could answer.

Considering that I did a dive with a guide, and I don’t have any certification ¿What would be the advantage of getting a certification? ¿Is it just so that I can dive without the guide, or is there another benefit?

I have been reading, and almost everyone I saw says that it’s important to find a good instructor, regardless of the agency he uses (PADI, SSI, etc.). Considering that I don’t know anybody that is a diver ¿How do I know if an instructor is good or not?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Going deeper. Being able to travel anywhere and dive. Not needing to be tied to a dive pro.

If you like diving and want to continue, why wouldn’t you get certified? Have to admit this is the first time I’ve seen this specific question

If you’re looking for recommendations, please provide your location, where you want to travel, etc.

Considering that I did a dive with a guide, and I don’t have any certification ¿What would be the advantage of getting a certification? ¿Is it just so that I can dive without the guide, or is there another benefit?

I have been reading, and almost everyone I saw says that it’s important to find a good instructor, regardless of the agency he uses (PADI, SSI, etc.). Considering that I don’t know anybody that is a diver ¿How do I know if an instructor is good or not?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
Hello! To answer your first question... Sounds like you took a "Try Scuba/Discover Scuba" class, which is simply a familiarization to have fun and to introduce you to the sport. Sounds like they succeeded in all aspects since you are considering certification! :) Good for you! Getting certified will allow you to dive on your own (with a buddy) any time you want and to get tanks filled, etc. You can also go deeper and do different types of dives instead of the dive pro's planned 20 foot reef dive. Haha! It gives you more autonomy and freedom. Having a basic open water certification also allows you to get more experience at your pace and partake in specialty courses, if you wish.

Agency doesn't really matter as long as it's a reputable agency. I teach under SSI, but PADI, NAUI, etc (there are several more) all have good, safe programs. I'd recommend going into multiple shops in your area and talking to the people there. Even if you can't speak directly to the instructor that will be teaching you, you will likely be able to get a good feel for the shop and how they operate. This is usually reflected in their instruction as well. Good luck and Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom