Finding and Filming Dead Sharks :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sherky

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Heh guys, I need your help on getting locations to film fished, dead sharks.

I'm making a documentary about how we are overfishing and killing Sharks around the world but don't know how or where to get these shots. I live in London and want to travel really to Europe only, but sigh, if there are better places to get such footage, then I am prepared to do this if I can't get them in Europe.

So what I need to find are...

SHARK FINNING
Shark fins, cut off and piled up in fish markets or even collected on boats or being unloaded off boats.

SHARK FISHING
Painful thing to witness and see, but I need to see Sharks being fished or unloaded off boats at the jetties or docks. Particularly the bigger species, Makos, Whites, Tigers, etc.

DEAD SHARKS caught in nets, longline or others.
I need to find any shots of a dead shark or those big piles of sharks that we have seen on the net or anything else.

Again, I have heard that there's a lot of this going on in European countries like Italy, Spain, Norway, France and even England, but I got this big exhausting task of trying to find actual places where this can actually happen. But will go further if I have to.

What I'm looking for are ports, fish markets, jetties, docks, any specific physical places or centres where I can get in there and see and film this, secretly if needs be.

In terms of Shark fishing, I dunno, do any of you guys know of seaside ports or towns in Europe or worldwide where people do this? What I wanna do is get on board a boat that is ALREADY setting out to fish sharks. I DON'T want to MAKE them do this. Meaning, I only want to be on a boat that has already arranged to go out there fishing these Sharks. That way, when I get a shot of a dead fished Shark, I won't have made this happen for my own reasons of filming. A sick and painful thing to watch I know, but for the sake of my film, I gotta put myself through this.

If you guys wanna know more about what it is that I'm doing or who I really am, well for starts, here's some links to a documentary I made about Tiger Sharks already. WALTER AND THE TIGERS is it's name...

walterandthetigers.tk

TRAILER
YouTube - WALTER and the TIGERS Trailer

FREEDIVING safely with the Tiger Sharks…
YouTube - What WALTER Has Learned About TIGER SHARKS

Tiger Sharks caught and killed in the BEACH NETS…
YouTube - TIGER SHARKS vs NATAL SHARKS BOARD

IMDB Page
Walter and the Tigers (2009)

Just to show that I'm genuine and I really do believe in Shark conservation and the whole campaign.My Tiger Shark documentary got me freediving with these lovely animals but then I encountered them being killed then dissected when caught in the beach nets.

Now I gotta embark on a film which involves boycotting and stopping all shark fishing.

So do you guys know of anything? If you don't know, then do you know who I should ask who would have information?

I really could use your help as I am starting from scratch here and got a bog difficult journey to make. Please help. All the best.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to locate stock footage of this and purchase it?

Yeah it would be. But I need too many shots and don't wanna have too much of the film full of stuff not filmed by me that I can't take real credit for.

Basically, the last half of the film is all about how we kill Sharks. And I don't want 100% of it to be full of stuff I didn't film, it just won't feel like it IS my film, if you know what I mean. It's a personal thing you could say, and I am willing to use SOME stock footage, but I just don't want ALL of it to be 'burrowed' from other sources.

At least, not if I CAN get it myself. If I can't, well, then we'll have to consider stock footage some more.

Understand... I prefer to use all my own footage although I often use stills from good local photographers since video can't easily capture the detail that a still image can.

Here here! I love still images, sometimes more than video as you can contemplate and concentrate on that moment more and take it in deeper. I like to freeze a shot still sometimes for this purpose (though on some TVs it caused it to flicker instead :S ). My previous documentary does use stock footage from Seapics and other sources, but it's not like it was used to such a high degree as it may need be for my new film.

I don't object to people using stock footage in any abundance at all, it's just I feel a personal need to get these shots for myself, plus the shot quality has gotta match my stuff too.

Secretly, the way my investigations are going today though on the net or phone, I think I may have to collect stock footage more anyway, so I may have to get used to this idea.

Though if anyone can help still, it would mean so much.

For catching sharks, I'll bet there are some shark-fishing charters leaving from England you could hop on or tail from another boat. I know they do it in New England. As for the sharks in nets, I think most ocean pen aquaculture farms will have some caught from time to time. The trick is getting them to let you film their operations.

Good luck from me as well Sherky!

Thanks guys, I'm a bit behind and am catching up on all the things been said here and messaged to me, but I love the help that you guys are giving me, it's very comforting. Not only are you giving me actual real places to go to and helping me find the light in my investigations but it's just very nice to find so many helpful and friendly people here.

Thanks for everything so far, I'm gonna get into my messages again and reply, but if you guys know of anything more, please let me know. Seems Vigo in Spain is the place to go for the dead Sharks. But does anyone also know of where they do sport fishing, in particular for the big Sharks like Makos? I wanna catch them in the act of doing this too, though it won't be nice to witness.

try mexican waters, panama. Those boats in new england typically sport fish and are not finning. Here it is illegal to catch short finned blue makos, they are protected. If you really want to support conservation email or call shark safe network it's based out of FL. They have tons of stock photos. Remember that when you pay money to get on these boats you are supporting what they do. If more people spoke with their $$$ it would help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom