Find Your Octo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Matthews

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I noticed on another thread there were many individuals commenting on how they have not seen or rrarely see octos on their dives. Folks, come to the Pacific NW and we can provide plenty. Octopus Holl, aptly named, on Hood Canal is a good bet. Antoher site is the Tacoma Narrows. When Galloping Gertie, a bridge, broke apart and sank it made a great home for the many legged buggers. In fact the LARGEST live OCTO on record is in the Tacoma Narrows region.

We have an old sewage pipe off Simonstown at Long Beach (Cape of Good Hope).
Every few metres a big concrete block anchors the pipe. The blocks have holes and every hole is inhabited by a common octo. Lying between 2 and 4 metres deep, you don't even need scuba to have a look at them.
Besides these ones octos are a common sight on all False Bay reefs, even free swimming at daytime, if you're lucky.
Often wonder what warm water divers brag about.

I hear the same statement time and time again, " i can never find octopus, how do you do it?" The reason most people do not see octopus is that they are looking for an octopus! These creatures are masters of disquise, in both colour and shape, have better eye site than we do, probably know you are coming long before they see you. But they are creatures of habit, learn their habits and the octopus you will find. First, the occupy dens, different species have different style dens, some use rock and coral, some like sand burrows, others cant resist a clay pot or an old bivalve shell. All octopus leave signs, it is hard to hide last nights dinner, look for crab legs laying around, old shells piled up for no reason, any thing that seems out of the usual. Then learn the specific behaviours of species. For example the Day Octopus in Maui is very commonly followed around by a species of Goatfish. The goatfish is easy to see, if its tendrils on its chin are straight down over a coral head, bingo, an octopus is in the coral head. Why the goatfish is waiting for the octopus to find food so that it can steal it. I admit, it is very hard to find an octopus, but by learning the habits of a species, you will look like a pro in no time.

Back
Top Bottom