finally upgrade from G7 to G11?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
o.k. my g7 canon housing buttons are sticking bad. I'll try to disassemble and lube but on my last trip I missed some nice photos (in focus) on my last trip despite having a focus light and strobe. I also have to keep putting "shoe goo" on the ISO wheel as otherwise it does not have enough grip to turn the camera wheel. I know some of the out of focus shots are operator error but are the g10 and g11 appreciably better at focusing than the g7? Maybe the larger screen will help me determine if I have a focused shot at the time. Any hints or tips are appreciated. Thanks.

Hi jbb
The focus on G7, G9, G10 & G11 are all very similar. Canon may tell you that there are differences, but none of them are appreciably different when you are actually using the camera underwater.
If your having trouble focusing, I'd try using these settings for focus (on any 'G' series camera - for underwater use).

- Auto Focus = Flexi Frame and set to the middle of the LCD screen (also set the focus square to the larger size - read your manual to change this).
- Auto Focus Frame Mode = Single
- Servo Auto Focus = OFF
- Auto Focus Assist Beam = OFF
- Image Stabilisation = OFF

Now all you need to do is find something in your subject that has a good degree of contrast to sit in the focus box, half depress the shutter button, wait until the square turns green.... and depress the shutter all the way. These settings will have the camera focusing as fast as it can. You will need to activate the MACRO setting if you subject is less than a metre from the camera, this will allow you to focus closer and slightly faster as well.
Hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom