Finally...the elusive Paddlefish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting.

Very cool photo... thank you for sharing!

O'Malley:
OK, it's only taken me 12 months of diving our local quarry to finally encounter one of the eight resident Paddlefish and this past weekend was the charm. Although the quality is blah, based on the frequency of sightings...I may never see another. He did give us a great show, encircling us for approximately 15 minutes, wide-mouthed and feeding. One thing I've learned, diving a drysuit adds a new dimension to underwater photography. But then again, this is all still so new to me.

IMG_1291_edited-1.jpg

Wow O'Malley great shot :14:, if I didn't see it with my one eyes i'd never have believed that such a pic existed!

Don't know what the vis is like in your local quarry, but if you manually set wb and took that shot, chances are it would be clearer.... but at any rate looks like there's some distance between you and the fish.

France park in Indiana has lots of them. We see them the most in the winter (although the park isn't generally open for diving in the winter anymore) probably because the vis is better but if you walk the bluffs above the quarry you can sometimes spot dozens of them.

They spend a lot of time near the surface and I think that's one reason that they're hard to spot. Most divers are moving along the bottom looking down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom