Finally made it to San Miguel for year 2012!!! Great dive, blah weather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fnfalman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The ride out on the Peace wasn't too bad. Started out rough (felt the boat slammed into the water a few times), but mellowed out nicely.

The dive sites were Crook Point (outside), Wykoff (sp?), Point Bennett and Crook Point (inside). Air temp was cool and sky was overcast all the way until maybe 3 PM and then the sun came out with a vengeance. For a while there, I thought that it was February and not July. Water temp was a chilly 52-53F. Viz ranged between 20-ft and 10-ft. Lots and lots of krills plus a great deal of particulates. However, the reefs were healthy and many anemonies were massive. I saw some humongous Hopkin's Roses and some dinner plate size red abalones.

First site; Crook Point, was OK. Nice viz at 20+ but nothing special. Didn't see any exotic animals but some guys scored some big vermillions and lingcods.

I think that it was at Wykoff (I got confused between the second and third dive sites as to which is Wykoff and which is Point Bennett), we dropped down a beautiful wall with cracks and fissures. The wall extended down close to 90-ft and the sand would hit 100+. More people brought up big vermillions and lingcods. One of the lingcods was close to 3-ft long. Many nudies: horned aerolids (everywhere), various sea lemons (noble and monterrey) also very prolific. I saw some nudies that I haven't seen before: limacia cockerelli, phyllidiopsis blanca, and Aegires albopunctatus.

At the fourth dive site (Crook Point but closer to land and the kelp bed), there were tons of the hooded nudies and I saw five large red abalones plus the usual sea lemons.

One of the hunters descended down and kicked a bunch of the hooded nudies off their perches on the kelps. I swear, there ought to be a law where you can't handle a stinking camera or speargun until you can handle yourself in the water.:shakehead:

---------- Post Merged at 08:15 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:59 AM ----------

Oops, forgot about the food report.

For breakfast, Joe served bacon, his famous scrambled eggs but today was cooked in bacon grease, and potato with onion and mushroom.

For soup, he had the cream of tomato and SoCal clam chowder with clam, bacon, corn and some weird garnish.

Lunch was Mexican with flayed chicken and pork al pastor with black bean, rice, the usual condiments and caesar salad.

Salsa were mango, chipotle ranchero and pico de gallo.

He also made some cerviche from a donated male sheephead. I'm not a cerviche fan so I abstained from this dish, but everything else were awesome. As always.

Joe is priceless . . . there is NO dive boat food like Joe's!

I love Wyckoff Ledges. It's one of my favorite dive sites anywhere in the world. The color, the topography and the beautiful kelp just make it special. Glad you had a good time there.

Great report. Glad to hear you made it to San Miguel. It is a very special dive site. Isn't it amazing how many big abalone there are at San Miguel?

Thanks for the dive report. What was the water temp like?

I have always wanted to dive the Northern Channel islands, but almost every report I've read mentions spear fishermen. Are there any boats up there that do not allow hunting? I would be seriously bummed if the only big fish I saw on the dive were on the ends of a spear.

Viz were consistent 52-F and 53-F. I think that closer to the surface it went up to a balmy 55-F.

It's not the boat that doesn't allow hunting, it's the dive shop which charters the boat. Some dive shops doesn't allow hunting (Eco Dive Center for one), and some shops don't care. The boat captain only cares if the game is too small or wrong game/season.

I'm not a hunter, but if the hunters were to harvest the games legally, then I have no issues with it. I'm only pissed at the hunters who don't bother to comport themselves well under water that kicked up silt, scraped against reef and generally make a nuissance for the rest of the non-hunters. Same thing with those who have ten dives under their belts and already packing DSLR camera rigs, churning up the bottom, kicked over starfish and God knows what else.

It wasn't me, HT... I swear I wasn't there!

San Miguel is one of those incredibly rich dive destinations thanks to the tremendous productivity of the waters there. Yes, the vis can be greatly reduced by the krill and other plankton but they can also be pretty incredible film subjects themselves as thick clouds of them move about. My last trip there was with Brian Ko as my dive buddy. He had tried to get there and never made it, I had made irt every time. Fortunately my streak held.

Last time I was there there were blue and humpback whales munching on the krill. Did you see any?

Hi Dr. Bill,

On the way back we saw several blue and humpbacks. I would assume that they were feeding because they were on the surface for quite some times.

---------- Post Merged at 09:10 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:07 AM ----------

I love Wyckoff Ledges. It's one of my favorite dive sites anywhere in the world. The color, the topography and the beautiful kelp just make it special. Glad you had a good time there.

I can definitely spend all day exploring that wall. Quite surgy at around 40-ft and shallower though. However, I did find a calm spot that was dead calm. So weird, one moment you get pushed around, the next moment it's like you're dead still.

I've been trying to get to San Miguel for years...never made it. Every single time I've tried, conditions forced us to visit Santa Rosa instead. While I certainly enjoy Santa Rosa, I'm told it's no San Miguel. Glad to year you made it. Maybe I'll get lucky next time!

Glad to hear the viz improved since we were there on the 5th :D. Wycliff was our first site of a 3 day trip and it was one of the best of the trip. We had 53-54f temps and no sun either.

I came back to one of my favorite Mexican taquerias and ordered an al pastor burrito with all the trimmings today. Definitely not as good as Joe's.

Back
Top Bottom