Finally going to do it.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing to keep in mind is that IF you do manage to get to the point of holding your breath for 3 minutes, doing so underwater is extremely harzardous.

Recreational free diving is very safe, deep and long free diving is not. The human body is not designed to go that long without oxygen and can, and will, shut down without much notice.

I strongly recommend that you have several thousand hours of time in the water under your belt before you start poking around in this realm.

WW

good point tom, hypercania is not something I want to experience.

I have got a bit of experience in freediving, mostly to depths around 20', and I like to keep "linger times" to about a minute or so. Long enough to get a picture or dinner :wink:

Trust me I am not going to go in to this with blinders on. I know the body can shut down and that the pressure can cause issues as well. I have to do alot of practicing but I am a determined little thing and will get to a level that is suitable for me even if it takes years of practice.

I will trust me. With Canuckdiver looking after me I don't have a choice now do I. He doesn't want to have to break in a new partner. Plus he would miss my speedo!!! :wink:

thank you tom, I appreciate the viewpoint of an experienced person in this.

as a bit of background, I got into freediving, and it is what led me to take up scuba.

cobaltbabe and I started doing exercises in the pool, because it is far too cold her to do any open water, and only limited gear is allowed in the pool here at the YMCA, so breath holding is about the only way to practice any skills at all. :wink:

My breath holding is nowhere near as good as it once was, but I like to keep it "above average". The 3 minute goal has her idea:eek:

canuckdiver once bubbled...
My breath holding is nowhere near as good as it once was, but I like to keep it "above average".

Yea, same here. I haven't done any free diving in several years.

WW

Hey boys your taking off without me. We found, and no this isn't a blonde moment, that I really have to watch what I do for a few nights before our pool sessions. It really affects my breathing ability.

cobaltbabe once bubbled...
Hey boys your taking off without me. We found, and no this isn't a blonde moment, that I really have to watch what I do for a few nights before our pool sessions. It really affects my breathing ability.

Free diving is 99% mental attitude. 1% physical.

WW

LOL, oops, hijacked another thread... :wink:

sorry :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom