Trip Report Finally, back in SE Florida, part 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've passed on dives I'd booked when the boat was going out but I just wasn't feeling it given the conditions. Lost the cost of the charter but that's just the price you pay some days. With experience, and age, we learn when it's just not worth it even though the boat may be running.

I've done that a couple of times on marginal days, explaining that I didn't feel safe going out even if the conditions were ok for them to go out. In most cases I've gotten refunds.

Almost dive day 7, April 27

No diving today due to winds and seas. Admittedly, I did not call Narcosis last night to see if they were going out today. I got somewhat slammed getting back on the boat last Saturday after the 2nd dive and decided to take it a little easier. I'm not as young, strong, agile, or flexible as I once was. It used to be, if the boat goes, I go, I'm revising that a little :)

I rode my bike to the Boynton Inlet this morning, not terrible, but moderate breakers across the inlet. I saw only one large fishing boat come in while I was there

View attachment 655822

I'm still hoping for tomorrow.
Here is hoping that tomorrow works out for you!

Dive day 8, April 28

Wow, a great last day for this visit. Did a 2 tanker with JDC this morning. There were only 5 divers, luxury. The day was warm and sunny with mild wind. Seas were 2-3, mostly 2. We had a mild north current, water temp 78 degrees, visibility 60+ feet.

The first dive was on Bluffs, the second on Tunnels. The first dive was very relaxing, a big Goliath Grouper, a Loggerhead, one Reef Shark. The second dive was wild. Several Goliath Grouper, several Loggerhead, and Reef Sharks everywhere, for nearly the entire dive. Probably some of the same ones circling around, I recognized a couple, it was hard to tell.

So, I was able to dive 7 out of 8 dive days this visit, 17 dives, just a little short of 17 hours. I used 3 different operators in 3 marinas to get in all my dives. I had to hustle a few days to find a ride.

I only took my camera on a few days, but I likely got some keepers from today. I will post a few photos when I have the chance to download my camera. SE Florida has some great diving, see you next time.

Dive day 8, April 28

Wow, a great last day for this visit. Did a 2 tanker with JDC this morning. There were only 5 divers, luxury. The day was warm and sunny with mild wind. Seas were 2-3, mostly 2. We had a mild north current, water temp 78 degrees, visibility 60+ feet.

The first dive was on Bluffs, the second on Tunnels. The first dive was very relaxing, a big Goliath Grouper, a Loggerhead, one Reef Shark. The second dive was wild. Several Goliath Grouper, several Loggerhead, and Reef Sharks everywhere, for nearly the entire dive. Probably some of the same ones circling around, I recognized a couple, it was hard to tell.

So, I was able to dive 7 out of 8 dive days this visit, 17 dives, just a little short of 17 hours. I used 3 different operators in 3 marinas to get in all my dives. I had to hustle a few days to find a ride.

I only took my camera on a few days, but I likely got some keepers from today. I will post a few photos when I have the chance to download my camera. SE Florida has some great diving, see you next time.

Excellent. I love Tunnels!! Always alot of action the times I've dived it. Glad to see the temps and viz both improving.

...second on Tunnels..... The second dive was wild. ...., and Reef Sharks everywhere, for nearly the entire dive..
And those Reefie's like to challenge divers and come up next to them to give an eye-balling!!. I agree with @JimBlay , Tunnels (if good viz) is a fantastic dive. If a diver wants a Money-Back, Guarantee to see 'a shark', that's the site we take them to.

The month of May can be iffy for flat seas, but June is almost always diveable every day. Let us know if you plan a June trip and we'll see if we can get a weekend group dive together with the SB posters..

Dive day 8, April 28

Glad you had such a great last day of diving!

Dive day 8, April 28

Great report and great thread! I’ve really enjoyed reading your threads over the last several months.

Tunnels is one of my favorite dive sites in Jupiter. It was the second site I ever dove down here when I moved last October. I made my descent and within seconds I was greeted by several friendly Goliath. I saw several Nurse and Reef Sharks that dive too. Tunnels rarely disappoints.

Here are a few photos:

upload_2021-4-30_16-50-53.png

upload_2021-4-30_16-51-21.png

upload_2021-4-30_16-51-52.png

upload_2021-4-30_16-52-17.png

upload_2021-4-30_16-52-44.png

upload_2021-4-30_16-53-13.png

upload_2021-4-30_16-53-37.png

upload_2021-4-30_16-53-55.png

upload_2021-4-30_16-54-14.png

upload_2021-4-30_16-54-47.png

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/