Trip Report Finally, back in SE Florida, part 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive day 4, April 24

Did another 2 tanker with Narcosis out of Riviera Beach/West Palm It was a nice day today, mostly sunny, but quite windy. Seas were up, a good 3-5 with some bigger. Water was 76-77. moderate north current on the 1st dive, brisk on the second. Visibility was around 40 feet.

We did the first dive at Yellowtail through Larsen's Valley. The second dive was at Governor's River Walk. The first dive was pretty unremarkable, relaxing, with the usual reef fish. The second dive dropped us onto a large Bull Shark, a couple more were seen. There were about a half dozen Goliath Grouper,

I was grateful to get out today. Hoping to get in 4 dives in Boynton Beach tomorrow

Dive day 4, April 24

Did another 2 tanker with Narcosis out of Riviera Beach/West Palm It was a nice day today, mostly sunny, but quite windy. Seas were up, a good 3-5 with some bigger. Water was 76-77. moderate north current on the 1st dive, brisk on the second. Visibility was around 40 feet.

We did the first dive at Yellowtail through Larsen's Valley. The second dive was at Governor's River Walk. The first dive was pretty unremarkable, relaxing, with the usual reef fish. The second dive dropped us onto a large Bull Shark, a couple more were seen. There were about a half dozen Goliath Grouper,

I was grateful to get out today. Hoping to get in 4 dives in Boynton Beach tomorrow

Great report! Thanks for sharing. Tomorrow is looking good. I’ll be with JDC in both the morning and afternoon.

I'm going out with Loggerhead in Boynton today Trip Report - Finally, back in SE Florida Maybe I'll see you there, if not, have some great dives in Jupiter

Couldn’t swing Boynton this weekend unfortunately. I’m on dog duty since my girlfriend is out of town so I had to stay close so I could take the dog out this afternoon.

Jupiter was good. 76 degree water and 50-60 feet of viz. saw all the usual suspects plus a few big male logger heads. Hope your dives were just as great!

Dive day 5, April 25

This was a nearly perfect Boynton Beach dive day for me. I did 4 dives with Loggerhead, out of Boynton Harbor Marina. The morning was Capt Jim and deckhand Gia. The afternoon was Capt Alex and deckhand Maricela, It was a warm, mostly sunny day, winds were moderate. Seas were mostly around 2 feet. The water temperature was 78 degrees! Visibility was around 50 feet

The first two dives were at outside reef sites that are favorites of mine, 007 and Green Roof. The outside reef was lovely today with moderate north current and good visibility. Besides all the usual reef fish, there was a large, friendly, Goliath Grouper, a big male Loggerhead, and a gorgeous large Southern Ray.

The afternoon dives were down at Delray Ledges and then up the the northern Boynton Reef at Jerry's No Name. Delray was packed with fish, countless huge schools of grunt. Jerry's was incredible with a couple of Loggerhead, three massive schools of Spadefish, a couple large schools of Bermuda Chub and all the reef usuals. There was a treat at the end of the dive when a large Lemon Shark joined me and swam slow circles around for several minutes before heading off. I didn't know exactly where I ended the dive, Alex told me I was less than 100 feet from the end of the reef, Next would have been the jump to the east island.

Four and a half hours underwater at some of the best sites in Boynton, doesn't get a whole lot better.

Dive day 5, April 25

This was a nearly perfect Boynton Beach dive day for me. I did 4 dives with Loggerhead, out of Boynton Harbor Marina. The morning was Capt Jim and deckhand Gia. The afternoon was Capt Alex and deckhand Maricela, It was a warm, mostly sunny day, winds were moderate. Seas were mostly around 2 feet. The water temperature was 78 degrees! Visibility was around 50 feet

The first two dives were at outside reef sites that are favorites of mine, 007 and Green Roof. The outside reef was lovely today with moderate north current and good visibility. Besides all the usual reef fish, there was a large, friendly, Goliath Grouper, a big male Loggerhead, and a gorgeous large Southern Ray.

The afternoon dives were down at Delray Ledge and then up the the northern Boynton Reef at Jerry's No Name. Delray was packed with fish, countless huge schools of grunt. Jerry's was incredible with a couple of Loggerhead, three massive schools of Spadefish, a couple large schools of Bermuda Chub and all the reef usuals. There was a treat at the end of the dive when a large Lemon Shark joined me and swam slow circles around for several minutes before heading off. I didn't know exactly where I ended the dive, Alex told me I was less than 100 feet from the end of the reef, Next would have been the jump to the east island.

Four and a half hours underwater at some of the best sites in Boynton, doesn't get a whole lot better.

What an excellent day!

Dive day 6. April 26

Wow, this was a great day. Did 2 dives with Loggerhead out of Boynton. The day was sunny and warm with mild wind. Seas were mostly 2-3 feet. Water temperature was 78 degrees. There was a mild north current and visibility was 60+ feet on the outside reef and 30-40 feet on the inside.

My first dive was outside Clubhouse with a crossover to Gulfstream The outside reef was gorgeous in the good visibility with all the usual reef fish. The highlight was a big Bull Shark that swam out from between two fingers as I entered it.

The second dive was outside of Black Condo/Briny Breezes with a crossover to Briny Breezes. About 10 minutes into the dive, I saw a beautiful 10+ foot Great Hammerhead. It swam leisurely south just outside of me :). I then came to an area I know well, the valley between two fingers that I call Glassy Sweeper Cave. There is a "small" Goliath Grouper that has been living there for some time. I have previously reported on it last July Trip Report - Back in the high life, part 2 It has a tunnel from the outside of the finger that connects with Glassy Sweeper Cave. It is very friendly and allows you to approach to within about 5 feet, and will "play" with you, making approaches and retreats while doing the shimmy, making yawns, etc. Eventually, when it is tired of playing or you have approached too close, it retreats into its tunnel. Just before I left this area, a huge group of large, silver Jacks came sweeping though. I was so dazzled by the silver shimmer in the bright sunlight that I did not pay enough attention to their appearance. I know these were not one of the common Jacks I usually see. By their body shape and size, I'm guessing Crevalle Jacks, I can't swear to the characteristic black splotches/spots. Just to top it off, there were three Nurse Sharks that paid me a visit during the dive.

A spectacular day of diving. It looks like I may have tomorrow off due to high seas and winds. Still hoping to get in one more day before I head back home.

.. and 30-40 feet on the inside..
We were north of you guys and the big ship was dredging sand to rebuild the beach. It killed viz in 60ft deep. Glad you are having a great dive trip !!

Almost dive day 7, April 27

No diving today due to winds and seas. Admittedly, I did not call Narcosis last night to see if they were going out today. I got somewhat slammed getting back on the boat last Saturday after the 2nd dive and decided to take it a little easier. I'm not as young, strong, agile, or flexible as I once was. It used to be, if the boat goes, I go, I'm revising that a little :)

I rode my bike to the Boynton Inlet this morning, not terrible, but moderate breakers across the inlet. I saw only one large fishing boat come in while I was there

upload_2021-4-27_11-46-32.png

I'm still hoping for tomorrow.

Almost dive day 7, April 27

No diving today due to winds and seas. Admittedly, I did not call Narcosis last night to see if they were going out today. I got somewhat slammed getting back on the boat last Saturday after the 2nd dive and decided to take it a little easier. I'm not as young, strong, agile, or flexible as I once was. It used to be, if the boat goes, I go, I'm revising that a little :)

I rode my bike to the Boynton Inlet this morning, not terrible, but moderate breakers across the inlet. I saw only one large fishing boat come in while I was there

View attachment 655822

I'm still hoping for tomorrow.

Good call. That does NOT look fun! You have got to know when to throw in the towel.

I've passed on dives I'd booked when the boat was going out but I just wasn't feeling it given the conditions. Lost the cost of the charter but that's just the price you pay some days. With experience, and age, we learn when it's just not worth it even though the boat may be running.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom