Final raw file conversion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So your camera records both a raw and a fine jpg? please clarify.

Yes. Most all DSLR's can record both RAW and JPG these days. That has been true for a while as I shoot a D200. But it's also easy to create jpg images from RAW if one wants to post these online.

So you are saying that you generally don't use tif, but tif is better for printing than jpg in your eyes, even though the file type is not critical smaller than 11x14. We must assume you are printing psd files? What sizes and what printers?

Any Lossless format is going to yield better results than a lossy format if you save your images, even once. This is more noticeable on larger prints, beyond 8x10, but if you start out by cropping say 1/3 of the image, it may even be noticeable in smaller prints.

I know folks that get good results using jpg only, however they have to be very careful to save the images off in a lossless format to do editing. If you limit yourself to jpg, each save is going to cost in print quality.

I print up to 13"x19" with a Epson 2200.

so which formats are lossless

i have ps cs3 now and it saves a raw as dng i think is that a lossless format

so which formats are lossless

i have ps cs3 now and it saves a raw as dng i think is that a lossless format
DNG is the Adobe digital negative format (RAW). Canon uses CR2 extensions, Olympus uses ORF extensions, Nikon uses NEF extensions.

These are all lossless "RAW" formats. There's others for other camera makers as well.

Unfortunately, the manufacturers don't use the same standards for their RAW files.....hence the different file extensions and formats (think BETAMAX & VHS! :eyebrow:)

Last edited:
by the way guys what does lightroom do, is it similar to cs3 someone said they use them together is this right???

Yes, Lightroom is like your developing suite (darkroom) and Photoshop is for all the "extras" - that's pretty simplified, but should get you in the ballpark.

Go to Adobe and find out all there is to know including free trial and/or Beta versions. I would not be without Lightroom. They have an extensive help area and active forum where you can find answers to most anything you will need to know to get started. Or you can just download stuff and start playing.

thanks alcina ill have a look

Back
Top Bottom