Fin Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt Frankel

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm looking for the perfect fin. I'm new to diving and I'm looking for the perfect fins that I will love and have for a long time. I'm looking for fins that are: durable and I will have for a long time, something that is great against strong currents, something that will make it easier to move in the water and is efficient, and lower priced like below $75. Does anyone have any suggestions. If its a little over $75 dollars but it meets all the other criteria please tell me about it so I know whats out there.

Thanks Ahead of Time

I'm looking for the perfect fin. I'm new to diving and I'm looking for the perfect fins that I will love and have for a long time. I'm looking for fins that are: durable and I will have for a long time, something that is great against strong currents, something that will make it easier to move in the water and is efficient, and lower priced like below $75. Does anyone have any suggestions. If its a little over $75 dollars but it meets all the other criteria please tell me about it so I know whats out there.

Thanks Ahead of Time

You'll be looking a long time. I look at fins like I look at shoes, if Im going to a wedding Ill wear dress shoes, if Im going to the gym Ill wear trainers, if Im out with my mates Ill wear casual shoes. Different fins for different applications.You'll not get much for under $75. Different fins offer different things, some are very stiff so will require some good leg muscles, some are a little floppy good for easy reef diving but possibly not much good in current. Then theres the whole splits Vs paddles. There are as many preference as choices of fin, its more about personal preference and the conditions you dive in. If you gave some details about your style of diving, conditions, gear, drysuit/wetsuit, do you take photos where you need good contrl, do you dive in silty conditions where splits might not be the best choice etc it might be easier to offer some suggestions. Not in your price range but in paddles Mares Quattros, Scuba Pro jet fins, Seawing Novas, Hollis F1s are quite popular with many. In splits Scubapro twin jets, Atomic and Apollo Bios have a pretty strong following. If you want spring straps, which I would recommend, then the price will go up again. I own some Oceanic Vipers cheap and light but not great in a strong current but very easy on the legs good travel fins for reef cruising, I also own some Cressi frogs very rugged a little stiff but better in a current, some Scubapro Jet fin Revos when diving a heavy suit,very heavy good in a current but hard on my legs. If you have a read around this forum you'll see many many reviews and recommendations for fins. Im not necessarily suggestion you buy online but check out the fins at Dive Gear Express, Scubatoys and Leisure Pro this will give you an idea about types of fins available and pricing. Do you have any dive buddies? what do they dive? do you know any experienced divers you can chat to? your instructor?. Does your local dive store allow trialing some fins or renting to try? What have you been using? what about them makes you not want to buy them? Just things to think about. Like most of us if you stick with diving long enough you'll likely end up with more than 1 set of fins anyway. Good luck with your search and welcome to scubaboard.

What buddasummer said or...

Go buy a set of used Scubapro Jet fins they will probably be cheaper than the spring straps you will eventually put on them.

Now that you have a set of decent fins to dive with while you are looking at others, try out any fins you can get your hands on untill you find "The Fin". I once found "the fin" but mine wore out and they are not made anymore.

Bob
-----------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Last edited:
What Bob said. Just go with Jetfins, they will last you forever and fit all your criteria. Another fin that's supposed to be pretty badass is the Hollis F2 but I'm not sure about their price point

You should be able to get into a pair of HOG Spring Heel fins for less than $100.. A pair of Mares Raptors will cost about the same. If you need to stay in the $75 range Tusa make a starter fin called the Tri-Ex. I think Oceanic has something simular as well..

fins are like the tyres you put on a car.

you dont put off road tyres on a sports car.

some people will adapt there style to fit the fins and some will buy fins that fit there style.

if you have relatively long legs then i would go for a slender fin-quattro or split.

if you have shorter more muscular legs i would look at a broad stiff fin.

2p

I bought a pair of Mares Raptors today, moreso for the footpocket than their split fin-ness. My first open foot fin. Along with them I got a pair of DeepSee 2/3 hard sole boots.

The whole footpocket/boot thing was a joy to use.

I found the regular flutter kick to be powerful but...... regular.

But the dolphin/butterfly kick and the frog kick were just as powerful with the dolphin kick also having the feeling of being effortless.

There's no perfect fin. Decide what your preferences are besides durable and efficient and powerful - no one is looking for not-durable inefficient wimpy fins. :wink: Fit is important, if you think you've found the perfect fin "on paper" that means nothing if it's not comfortable or doesn't fit well with whatever booties you are wearing. (Or not, if you're thinking of full foot fins.)

You will get many recommendations here for Jetfins and similar. Some people find them perfect, others may find them uncomfortable, too heavy, or otherwise unsuitable for their purposes. Split vs paddle is another choice where people have strong preferences.

Plenty of inexpensive paddle fins work just as well as expensive fins with all sorts of gimmicks. If you're trying to save money, fins are also a great thing to buy used. I'd suggest having a list of fins in mind and keeping an eye out here or on eBay until you spot something. Really helps to have been able to try on a bunch of fins though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom