Fin straps too long

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nkw5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I got a new pair of fins with really long straps. I have long ends on both sides when I cinch the fins up. I have something like 3 inches of strap on both sides. Definitely a bother and a snag hazard. What should I do with the extra rubber? I tried tucking them under the strap but with thick gloves that doesn't work. I don't want to cut them. This is probably a dumb question, but can someone suggest how I solve this problem?

nkw5:
I got a new pair of fins with really long straps. I have long ends on both sides when I cinch the fins up. I have something like 3 inches of strap on both sides. Definitely a bother and a snag hazard. What should I do with the extra rubber? I tried tucking them under the strap but with thick gloves that doesn't work. I don't want to cut them. This is probably a dumb question, but can someone suggest how I solve this problem?

I'd roll up the excess in a tight roll, drill 2 x 1/8 holes from outside to in (each side) and pop rivet against a washer slid down the centre of the roll. The excess roll will not come loose and will serve as a convenient handle to pull them tight. Pour some super glue down the centre of the rivet to stop the iron pin from going rusty inside the aluminum rivet.

Get spring straps. I had a similar issue with my fins and the excess strap was constantly getting hung up on Kelp. I replaced the rubber straps with spring straps and haven't had a problems since.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom