Fin Strap Observations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you seen any fin spring straps fail? I haven't... YMMV
I haven't seen the fail during a dive, I however have seen them break on doning their fins to enter the water. the spring seperated from the latch. A small pin that held them together came out.

Sure, that's an example of a spring strap failure. However, it's not a use-related failure. It failed because of a manufacturing defect (assuming normal use by the diver). I assembled my own spring straps. Built the connector to the fins and closely inspected the spring under stressed and unstressed conditions before assembling. If spring straps are made of the correct materials and assembled properly, the chances of them breaking are close to zero and probably one of the least significant safety issues in diving.

I use rubber fin straps. They are inexpensive to replace, although I have yet had one break. Only once have I replaced them because there might have been a questionable small crack.

For $4.00, I can carry an extra rubber fin strap in my dive bag. And then I can spend my dive dollars on other things.

Back
Top Bottom