Fin Strap Observations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Akimbo

Just a diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I wanted to see what the fuss over spring straps was about so I tried a pair last year. I switched back after six months. I found them bulkier, no easier to use, and no more comfortable over 7mm wetsuit socks. On the plus side, they will accommodate a wider range of foot insulation without adjustment. In my case, that did not matter since I need a larger foot pocket, thus a larger pair of fins, to accommodate drysuit insulation and boots anyway. That leaves reliability as the only compelling argument, which rates extremely high on my priorities.

The advantage of conventional fin straps is they are easy to visually and mechanically inspect for signs of failure — a practice that has always been on my pre-dive trip regime whether it be for a day or a month. You cannot see impending spring failure without significant magnification and a lot more effort. Both types of fin straps will fail; rubber compounds more frequently.

I have never had a fin strap fail in the water since switching to Jet Fins in 1968. That pair of Jets finally gave up the ghost around 2002. I probably changed straps six times during their life, which included thousands of commercial and recreational dives when they were not rinsed in fresh water for weeks at a time. One caveat, I always used the company's gear when diving in water contaminated with hydrocarbons. I have always been careful about limiting my gear's exposure to sun and never store it in spaces that share vehicles, combustion appliances, or vaporous chemicals.

I pass these observations on as one man's experience. Your mileage may vary.

I like spring straps; but if someone wants to try out the “feel” before investing and taking the plunge, just get a set of bungees with metal hooks and attach them to your fins. Use a pair of channel lock pliers to chrimp. I dove with them that way for 3 years with no problems. I put the extra pieces of bungee in my save-a-dive kit.

I have since converted to spring straps, but the bungee idea helped me decide.

c

Fin_bungee_2_.JPG

What kind of springs were you using, Akimbo? I have had several different types, and my enthusiasm for them varies. The simple Halcyon-type springs with a fabric cover, I love. The ones with the hard plastic tubing I didn't like at all -- they ate holes in my heels. Recently, I have acquired two sets of springs with a flat rubber pad on them, and I'm finding I don't like them much at all. THEY are bulky, and far more difficult to get on and off than the simple springs.

What kind of springs were you using, Akimbo? ...

I tried the type with a rubber pad around the spring. They were comfortable, but not more or less than fin straps. The realization that I could not effectively inspect them for stress cracking and the high cost of frequent prophylactic changes left me with no justification to continue using them.

I suspect that there are valid ergonomic factors that might influence a selection. I have large hands for my short stature with strong fingers so stretching fin straps has never even been a thought. I also dive in kelp a lot so extraneous hardware than snags is annoying. As a point of reference to my comments, I also dislike the quick adjustable fin straps that attach to molded posts due to snagging and the unnecessary complication.

One of the reasons I switched to SS spring straps is the vastly lower likelihood of failure. From my point of view, the only failure that can happen is undue stretching of the spring. Some folks place a stretch-limiting cord inside the spring. I don't because the stretching itself is a low probability event. Stretching does not mean or imply breakage. The metal is designed to stretch, but not break. If stretched too far, the spring will not return to its original shape, but it will not break. Sure, repeated stretching may eventually cause breakage, but springs have to be pushed to their limit repeatedly in order for that to occur. Mine stretch no more than 15% of max when I don or doff my fins and resting stretch on my foot is about 1 or 2%. They will outlive me, for certain.

As far as a comparison with standard straps is concerned, no contest, IMHO. I can take each fin off with one finger and in a single motion that leaves it safely over my wrist. For what it is worth, I made my own from instructions on the internet for use with one pair of Mares fins and then simply transferred them to another new pair years later. I love my spring straps!

One of the reasons I switched to SS spring straps is the vastly lower likelihood of failure. From my point of view, the only failure that can happen is undue stretching of the spring. Some folks place a stretch-limiting cord inside the spring. I don't because the stretching itself is a low probability event. Stretching does not mean or imply breakage. The metal is designed to stretch, but not break. If stretched too far, the spring will not return to its original shape, but it will not break. …

Stainless springs are very susceptible to stress, cyclic, and corrosion fatigue. The most corrosion resistant grades of stainless make mediocre small diameter wire extension springs because the material is too soft. Stainless springs will almost always fail without any visual indication. I have never seen a fin strap fail that was recently inspected at sharp bends under tension. I have seen many small wire compression and extension springs fail in the marine environment.

I like spring straps; but if someone wants to try out the “feel” before investing and taking the plunge, just get a set of bungees with metal hooks and attach them to your fins. Use a pair of channel lock pliers to chrimp. I dove with them that way for 3 years with no problems. I put the extra pieces of bungee in my save-a-dive kit.

I have since converted to spring straps, but the bungee idea helped me decide.

c

Fin_bungee_2_.JPG
I wished I had seen this before I purchased mine. Great idea.

Stainless springs are very susceptible to stress, cyclic, and corrosion fatigue. The most corrosion resistant grades of stainless make mediocre small diameter wire extension springs because the material is too soft. Stainless springs will almost always fail without any visual indication. I have never seen a fin strap fail that was recently inspected at sharp bends under tension. I have seen many small wire compression and extension springs fail in the marine environment.

Have you seen any fin spring straps fail? I haven't... YMMV

Back
Top Bottom