fin storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingDoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What is the best way to store fins? My husband thinks that if you store them in your gear bag or loosely on the floor, the fins might become deformed. So he stores them by threading each fin strap over the top of the pole that holds the hangers in a closet and attaches the other end into it's anchor on the other side of the fin. Personally, I think this will stretch the fin straps.

Opinions, anyone?

Mine are all on a shelf with the foot pocket inserts and channel clips (Mares Avanti/Volo line) in. I've heard folks suggest hanging them upright from a hanger bar (as your husband says), but FWIW, every time I'm in diveshops, I see them laying on shelves, one bag on top of the other. Granted, they won't be hanging on to fins for as long a time as an owner (hopefully), but judging by the way fins are treated at the store, I don't think it matters much.

I've had blade fins deform from being stored standing upright leaning against the back of a cupboard. Not permanently though - taking them diving seems to work all of the kinks out :)

That being said I now stored them flat on a shelf.

If you're worried about the straps stretching, you can always replace them with spring straps - I find that they're great.

if your fins are getting deformed from storage it's time to get out and dive more! :)

In any case - it doesn't matter - replacement straps are cheap... and it would give you an excuse to replace them with spring straps!

I like the straps I have. We go on a diving trip about every 3-4 months. To me the local quarry is just not worth it and wreck diving in NC is expensive relative to the fact that you have a long boat ride, a 1 in 5 chance that the conditions are going to be good and only 20 minutes of bottom time because of the depth. Give me nice tropical places, even if it's less often.

Et

I tie a bowline or round turn two half hitches around the blade of the fins and hang them off a hanger in my closet. It's easy to get them down and they are out of the way and no deformity.

I store my fins flat in a gear bag, and my gear usually lasts until it wears out. The key is washing the gear. If you wash your fins well, and dry them flat, they can than go right into the bag. I think any way you store them is ok as long as they are flat.

lal7176 once bubbled...
I use turtles which are probably indestructable no matter how you store them :D Anyways i just store my laying flat on the closet floor.
Judging by the smell, they're dead when you get them, I don't think anything could hurt them either :D

Must check and see how my pair are holding up in the ScubaPro Twin Jets box.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom