fin springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wayward Son:
I make them. Once I made some for my own fins I wouldn't be without them on new ones any longer than it takes me to make a set.
Ditto. I can't see ever owning a set of fins without them. Regular straps are pretty poor by comparison.

DiveMaven:
I used to lose a fin often when giant striding into the water. Fortunately my fins were positively buoyant so I never lost one. When those fins died (after 13 years!) I bought some Jets. Knowing they are very negatively buoyant, I immediately bought spring straps. Now I never have to worry about my fins coming off until I take them off!!! :D

About 2 months ago, I bought some OMS Slipstream fins. They are just like Scubapro Jet fins except they are positively buoyant even with the spring straps on the back. That was one of the selling points for me because some boat dives I go on require me to take off my fins before boarding the boat and the last thing I need is a fin dropping back down to 130 feet.

I highly recommend them.

stardust:
fishoutawater:
I just made mine from some directions I found on this board. Maybe I used Wayward Son's design, (I dunno).

I dive with a guy that makes his own everything, his light cannon is my favorite. He of course had to make his own springs, but it's not my thing so I just paid the $25. I admire your talent

Where did you you find spring straps for $25?

Ron

Spring straps. You want 'em, whether you know it or not.

I love the pull tabs on mine. But Perrone makes a good point, and IF I ever do hardcore cave diving and wreck penetrations, I suppose I might consider taping them up. But for the other 99% of my diving... they make life a lot easier. I say yes to pull tabs. You can always change your mind and cut them off. Or tape and untape as your needs dicate.

There are lots of good ones out there, and it's hard to really go wrong, but I think Apollo makes the best spring straps. There are less expensive options that hold your fins on just as well, however.

do they fit any fins.

I spoke with my instructor who's a cave diver, he said the chances of that tab getting caught are pretty remote, that he wouldnt tape it. I guess you have to make yourself comfortable though. Id prlly be the one to find the small thing to catch it on.

stardust:
I spoke with my instructor who's a cave diver, he said the chances of that tab getting caught are pretty remote, that he wouldnt tape it. I guess you have to make yourself comfortable though. Id prlly be the one to find the small thing to catch it on.

I wouldn't be NEARLY as worried about it in a cave as I would in a wreck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom