fin springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Best scuba accessory ever!!!!

Mine have the pull tabs loops and I like them but you've got to go with that makes you happy.

Now if my stupid broken foot will just heal I can use my fins again!

I bought my apollo bio fins with the c straps and I will say that is one of best decesion I have ever made :)

Once you've tried springs you'll never go back. I lost a fin with straps on a drysuit check out dive - hasn't happened again since going to the springs. As all the other posts have attested they are much easier to deal with as well.

Perhaps the best scuba thingy I have ever purchased. I love watching other divers struggle with their buckles on a shore dive, lol.

I used to lose a fin often when giant striding into the water. Fortunately my fins were positively buoyant so I never lost one. When those fins died (after 13 years!) I bought some Jets. Knowing they are very negatively buoyant, I immediately bought spring straps. Now I never have to worry about my fins coming off until I take them off!!! :D

I just made mine from some directions I found on this board. Maybe I used Wayward Son's design, (I dunno).
Damned good design, but I can't find the link anymore.
I used anodized aluminum aircraft bushings, along with some titanium links I made from some . 032" scrap I bought at a metal supply place, and the eleven inch X 1/2", .062" stainless springs I bought from McMaster Carr. And I bought some stainless screws and loknuts at Lowes. I think I used 10/32 screws about 1.5 inches long.
I did make my links shorter than the 1.25" ones suggested by the original designer, and I did have to shorten the springs (not a whole lotta fun).
I put them on my IDI Powerfins (Jetfin clones).
Absolutely love them!! I haven't dived with them yet, but I did give them a vigorous workout in the river swimming with them, and they held my fins on like I was born with them.
I would add that the links can be fabbed from one inch long pieces of stainless steel hose clamp material. Just use parts of the clamp that don't have the thread slots.
I didn't bother putting any kind of padding or pull tab on mine. My booties give me plenty of padding already, and it's really not hard for me to push a bare finger under the spring to pull them off. I haven't tried it with gloves yet, and that's because if I find myself in water that's cold enough to warrant gloves, I figure I must've took a wrong turn somewhere.

brill thanks, guess what my next purchase will be.

fishoutawater:
I just made mine from some directions I found on this board. Maybe I used Wayward Son's design, (I dunno).

I dive with a guy that makes his own everything, his light cannon is my favorite. He of course had to make his own springs, but it's not my thing so I just paid the $25. I admire your talent

Back
Top Bottom