fin springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bubblemonkey

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
anyone use them?

good?

bad?

thanks

Very good. Don't get the ones with pull tabs.

Use em and love em. Got mine @ Gorilla diving.

In some swimming positions, they would stick up and be prone to getting caught on things. It's like swimming with a hook behind you.

I use my fin springs and love them, really love them. During our exquipment exchange in divemaster class they were great. I could just whip them off like a stripper. Mine do have pull tabs but they're small, I hadnt considered they might get caught. Im glad you brought that up, I'll have to discuss it with my instructor. We may have to tape them. The slap strap on my mask and my fin springs are 2 of my favorite gadgets. Sometimes theyre kind of a bear to put on fins initially, but it's worth it. Buy them!!

I use them because I've had 2 seperate instances, where on a cold, deep dives the regular pull tab fin straps came loose and the fin fell off my feet. Not fun at all in at 70' in 42 degree water in a 7mm suit to boot. I have small loops in the back of mine. I never thought of them either as a snagging hazard, but I do see the point, it is well taken. Since I have had the springs, I have not lost my fins even once.

I have spring straps and love them. The chances of the spring breaking is next to 0 and they are self adjusting. Once they are on your foot, the spring snugs-up and you have the same fit dive after dive after dive.

However, I do have a donning loop with a heel pad on the back. The loop is about 2" diameter. To keep if from becoming a snagging hazard, I covered the loop with black electrical tape. It still allows you to get a good grip by pinching it, but wont snag on protrusions, hooks, or anything else that could snag a circle. I thought about cutting them off, but it makes getting the fins on a whole lot easier.

Carl the Cat

I might have to get some spring straps . . . After having a fin come off, I feel like I'm always fidgeting with my straps to make sure they're tight enough. Sounds like springs may be the way for me to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom