Fin Recommendation for female tech diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharkbait0501

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
i've recently ventured into tech diving and found my aeris fins don't have enough power with my doubles (LP 85s). I'm wearing a 5mm wetsuit now, but will be switching over to my drysuit soon which will cause even more drag.

I'm considering either the hollis F1 fins or the diverite EXP fins. The Hollis size chart lists regular as the smallest size which fits size 7-9 (I'm assuming 7-9 men's) and am wondering if these fins will be too big for me. I wear a men's size 6 hardsole wetsuit boot (size 7 women's).

Any recommendations?

wait until you have your drysuit to try on new fins. my large jets sorta fit my drysuit though they were a cast iron bitch to get off, but the paddle wasn't big enough to push it through the water. (i was using all the rest of the same stuff, double 95s etc). i looked like a giant hummingbird, flapping & flapping & going nowhere. i went to xl jets for the paddle size. anyway, it will matter whether you have turbosoles or rock boots when you get your new suit.

Definately wait until you get your drysuit before you size your new fins. There can be a big difference between wetsuit bootie and drysuit boot fit.

I've not tried the Hollis fins, so I can't compare them. But from personal experience I would recommend either Force Fins, SP Jetfins or the OMS Slipstream. All of those offer good power for double tank diving.

When diving wet, under 7mil, I like the OMS Slipstreams. They have a large paddles and are almost as stiff as the Jetfins, but are much lighter making them less work to trim out. In a drysuit or 7mil wetsuit, the Jetfins are the right choice for me. There may not be one fit that works for both for you...or there may be. Just food for thought. YMMV

I have the drysuit already; just haven't dove with it with the doubles yet. it has latex socks and I use my wetsuit booties over it so i think I'll be ok with the sizing regardless of diving wet or dry. I tried a friends turtle fins and felt very uncomfortable in them. Maybe it just takes time to get used to a different fin style....not sure, but that is why I was thinking of the Hollis or diverite fins b/c they are a little longer and will perform better with a flutter kick, as well as frog kick.

The Hollis fins also come with spring straps and all sizes have three adjustments for the springs. I wear a size 8-9 boot and the regular/large works with the softer boots and my drysuit boots. If your boots are the hardsole type that look like combat boots the Xl's work well. I have both sizes in the F1 fins and love em. The fins are neutral in saltwater and slightly negative in fresh. Not as stiff as rockets and a bit softer than the one set of jets I tried. The foot pocket for me is very soft and molds to my foot better than other fins I've tried. And that three postion adjustment is the icing on the cake. I can adjust the strap position in about 5 minutes with a philips screw driver and a 1/4 inch(6mm) wrench.

I have size 7 feet, and the Hollis foot pocket is WAY too big for me in TurboSoles or wetsuit booties. The foot pocket in the size L Jets is perfect.

The first time I dove Jets, I thought somebody had done a Mafia number on me and put my feet in cement blocks. You get used to them. Now I hate diving anything that flexes :)

I wear a womens size 7 and dive XL Jets. I use Converse for one of my drysuits, but the other has turbosoles....the XL's work for either suit.

I used to dive the L Jets, but an instructor suggested I try the XL's. I feel like I get some added power from them, but I really like them because they feel like a much more stable platform. I lost an XL and had to use my L's for a couple dives....it almost felt like diving with no fins at all.

The length of the F1's look like they'd make control a bit harder (for me, at least). I prefer (well, at least I think I do....considering I haven't tried the F1's) a wider paddle, rather than a longer one. The Jets provide that for me and I've been very happy (drysuit, doubles, stages....no issues).

i've recently ventured into tech diving and found my aeris fins don't have enough power with my doubles (LP 85s). I'm wearing a 5mm wetsuit now, but will be switching over to my drysuit soon which will cause even more drag.

I'm considering either the hollis F1 fins or the diverite EXP fins. The Hollis size chart lists regular as the smallest size which fits size 7-9 (I'm assuming 7-9 men's) and am wondering if these fins will be too big for me. I wear a men's size 6 hardsole wetsuit boot (size 7 women's).

Any recommendations?

Hi Kelly :happywave:,

I don't have experience with the Hollis or the dive rite and have only used the SP Jets. The Large fit perfectly over my wetsuit booties (size 6) and XL are a better fit over my rockboots (size 7) for drysuit diving. Both in doubles. Yes, the XL has a much larger paddle and helps immensely with the back kick, however, I can get some "get up and go" with my size Large if I want to. Let me know if you're interested in trying them out. I'd be happy to loan you a pair. Take care and good luck with tech.

Carmen

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom