Fin Proportions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spectrum

Dive Bum Wannabe
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Along the lines of the " best fins to dive dry?? " thread I have a related question.

Diving wet I have a pair of Aeris Velocities, size L-XL. They fit nice, move me along efficiently and I can dive endlessly with no concern of cramping or over exertion. I have nice control and other than not being conducive to the frog kick in like them fine. Being paid in full is an atractive feature as well. I tried a pair of my buddies Jets (L?) and they were nice too.

Now comes November and I climb into my drysuit with bigger boots and I need bigger fins. I got a pair of Aeris Velocities, size XX Large and I do find that they really load up on my legs. If I swim hard I can easily bring myself to a cramp. I suppose I could spend some time at the gym but that's not why I'm posting.

Is there a line of fins that does not presume that a bigger foot implies a stronger diver and has a more constant paddle size?

As an asside has anyone ever tried cropping fins back to reduce the moment arm of an overly agressive fin?

Pete

I would think triming some off would help. Less surface area = Less force/effort
What would you trim them with?

1_T_Submariner:
What would you trim them with?

Some combination of tools including razor knives, shears and an electric carving knife.

Split fins maybe? not for reducing blade size, but leg strain at least...

With the Jets there is a BIG difference in blade size when you jump from L to XL

Hope you find the perfect fin for ya'

Aloha, Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom