fin/mask storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dfk70

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
For those of you that don't dive frequently, how do you store your fins and masks? Hang the mask by the strap somewhere? Hang the fins somehow? Throw the fins on a shelf in a closet?

For gear i don't use that often, it's kept in an a/c'd closet....Fins are lay'd flat so they don't bend, [you could hang your fins but I'd remove the straps and hang them w/cord so the straps don't stretch].... Masks are lay'd face down w/straps/slap strap removed and lay'd flat....BC's are on a 'bc' hanger, as are wet/dry suits and wings are lay'd flat on a plastic grille shelf system....Some people put their wings on pegs thru one of the holes and remove the inflator tube.......Main thing is to keep gear out of the sun and hot places........

I have a shed with a solar powered ventilation fan that is just for scuba gear. I store gear for the five divers in the family.

Personally, I dry my mask and store in a mask box. I have two masks with prescription lens and take care of them. Fins and regs are hung on straps. BC and wetsuits on hangers designed for them. Everything else is tossed in a bins.

I have a few sets of fins, a couple that I haven't used in a while. All I did after I finished the last dive with them is rinse them with fresh water, dry them on a tarp, and then store them flat on the ground in a small room. I'd store the mask the same way, after it's dried.

Masks go into my mask box/pouch, tilting the top and fronside towards the edge so the skirt doesn't bend. Straps get pushed cleanly into the mask itself, no folds or bends other than at the sides.

Fin sideways-length wise or flat in my Rubbermaid 24Gal Action Packer, as does everything else including my mask box. Action packer gets stored in my garage, kept away from car fumes. Outside my parents house, my house doesn't have cars going in and out of the garage, so it's just sitting on a shelf away from moisture, sunlight, and heat.

Any extra pieces of gear also go in a rubbermaid box.
BC's get hung up on hangers, same with wetsuits.

Everything is dry, dry as can be before storing. Even the insides of my booties. If they aren't they get placed in my bedroom floor, to dry out with the help of some night time body heat.

I keep my mask in the box and my fins in a snorkle bag laying on the floor.

In my dive bag ready to go.

N

laundry basket in metal wardrobe in garage

gear-basket.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom