Fin for diving and snorkling in warm water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a pair of Mares Volo Power Fins which I use when diving in New England. I will be traveling to the Bahamas where I will be diving, but also snorkeling at the beach where we are staying. I'm interested in finding a moderately priced full foot fin that I can use when diving as well as snorkeling - any suggestions are appreciated - thanks.

The Mares volo power is not much of a fin compared to the Mares Superchannel. I don't know what a "warm water" fin is but the FF Superchannel is about 20-25% faster through the water. The lightest, fast fin on the market is probably the Oceanic Caribe X. It is fairly long, weighs next to nothing and kind of a flexible flyer. They are inexpensive and will really move out. Wear a 3 mm bootie, not a boot. Bare feet are OK, too but the same size will not fit both feet and booties.

If you're just going to use them on this trip and leave them in your closet for the next 20 years, why not just rent some there? I've snorkeled with...???....10 different brands of fins. All worked.
But, my favorite are long blades. I have a pair of Beauchats.

Well, by "warm water" I meant a pair with a smaller boot/foot area than mine have. I can't wear them with a thin booty or dive sock. So I thought I'd get a pair that I can travel with -- a full foot style, and also use both for diving and snorkeling at the beach by the hotel and I don't want to spend a lot of $$

The V-6 is also a good fin according to test results. I haven't used them personally so when I say the fin is probably the best choice for an all around resort fin, it is according to advertising and reports. You could do a lot worse. My experience with slipper fins is in the context of spearfishing starting from way back but notably, in 1979, with the Cressi black rubber long fins. Lately, I have been using the Mares Avante Tre which is a predecessor to the Superchannel. I can't tell any difference between the two when compared and tests are virtually identical. IMO, these two models are superior to the early long fins and some contemporary types but it is hard to find data on long fins and I'm not in a position to compare all of them. What I am saying is that serious free divers should look closely at the Mares fin, especially those diving 60 fsw or less. Otherwise, it would be hard to go wrong with the Caribe or V-6 which are fast and maneuverable. For carry on purposes, the Caribe and V-6 are probably the lightest in weight. The range of prices is not overly broad so no decisive edge there. Comfort of the Mares Superchannel and Oceanic Caribe X are outstanding, really smooth and well fitting for normal feet with no constrictions on the toes. I haven't tried the V-6 so somebody else can speak to that but Oceanic makes it so that is a good sign.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom