Fin Choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reubencahn:
One word: Ebay

Assuming you're not in a huge rush, you can find both Turtles and Jetfins for half the price of even Leisurepro. On the other hand, Leisurepro will get it to you for this coming weekend.
Every time I have tried to E-Bay XL Jets, I get sniped for $10-15 over LP pricing not including shipping. I have seen XL Jets go for over $80 on E-Bay. You may find Large Jets on E-Bay for $40-50 but watch out for the auction snipers, they are everywhere. It's almost to the point that E-Bay is unusable unless you employ some sort of sniping service.
Good luck with the E-Bay thing, I will go with certainty over that any day.
Robb

I should add that I bought my original pair of large Jets on E-Bay 3 years ago. Before the revival that has occured where everyone wants to dive Jetfins. The last 4 times I have tried to get XL's I have been outbid at the last second by snipers. My max bid on all was $75 because I was willing to pay that much and they were local so I could avoid shipping. Leaves a bad taste in the mouth for E-Bay.

StSomewhere:
Typically, they are out of stock for the size I'd need....
I just traded a buddy my extra pair of large for a new set of spring straps. Large Jets are easy to come by, but you should look into XL's if they work with your suit. More blade to kick with :eyebrow:

vodolaz:
If you're not married to the idea of rock boots, you could always use jetfins with turbosoles.

I went the rock boots with turtles route, then switched to turbosoles/jetfins. The fins themselves aren't that big a difference - at least that I've noticed - but I'm glad to be rid of the rock boots. FWIW, I don't do much diving from rocky shores these days.

If you're interested in a pair of used turtles, I might be willing to part with mine.

Oh well, I already ordered a pair of turtles off of LP. I would have taken you on your offer. I am not sure how I'm going to like the Rock Boots. I was told to get the Rock Boot Setup but eventually buy different boots for them such as those by Bare or perhaps a nice set of Neoprene Boots. We'll see how I like them once my TLS350 gets here (5 weeks for the custom suit *sigh*) and I'll go from there.

Thanks again.

Derek S:
Jon's joking aside, there is a reason the Jets have been around since what, the 50s...And Turtles are almost a carbon copy of the Jets with bigger foot pockets for drysuit boots.

IMHO, Jets are the only way to go. They're inexpensive too compared to all the splits out there.

===============================
How to the Jets fare in strong currents versus, say, a pair of Cressi Frogs (i.e., longer, narrower, stiffer blades)? What would you take on a drift dive in the Caribbean Current off Cozumel, in the Gulf Stream off Ft. Lauderdale, or in the Florida Current on the Speigel Grove off Key Largo?

Dave

loquat149:
How to the Jets fare in strong currents versus, say, a pair of Cressi Frogs (i.e., longer, narrower, stiffer blades)? What would you take on a drift dive in the Caribbean Current off Cozumel, in the Gulf Stream off Ft. Lauderdale, or in the Florida Current on the Speigel Grove off Key Largo?

Dave

That's usually where people say Jets "shine" is in current... though I have yet to dive anywhere with more than a 1-2knot current... so I can't comment personally on this yet... Compared Jets to free diving blades would be an interesting comparison - you might check out 2 threads by Scubakevdm http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=64345 and http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=68532&highlight=challenge first one compares Jets to splits and the second one he looks at the Cressi Gara 2000HF fins.

Tim

Fighting a current is something you dont want to do in Jets or any other fin. You are going to lose. I personally like Jets in current. I find that when I need that PUSH its there. In splits (I own Atomics) the one good push I get from my Jets is more like 2 or 3 kicks.

I am sure this is personal. But I like Jets

loquat149:

Dave

I've done 2 out of those three (not been to Coz yet), and loved my Jets. I've also done the Bibb and Duane in some pretty stiff current. You have to understand though that diving in a trim position will make a huge difference on how a fin performs in current. If you're trimmed out well, unless you get into a ripping current, you don't have to fin that hard, or often, with the Jets. Their relatively stiff blades and construction allow you to hold position or move forward with "relative" ease. Of coursee, if it's a river down there, there's nothing that will hold you in place!

I can't speak for the Cressi Frogs because I've never owned a set.

I got my turtles last week and finally got into them on Tuesday. I did a couple of dives in them and love them! I have powerful legs and most other fins feel like I'm flopping paper on the ends of my feet. With the turtles, I could actually feel like I was producing some kicking power and I noticed especially on the surface that I could move much much faster. Thanks again guys!

Wow, this is insane. This is the DIR forum, remember? There is a TOS, remember? I'm holding back and being polite.

Here is the answer.

From this page:

http://gue.com/classroom/dirfund.shtml

7. Mask and fins: Mask should be low volume; fins should be rigid, non-split

And this, the preferred fin:

http://gue.com/equipment/fins.shtml

EDIT, sorry. In my indignation, I forgot to post the reasoning. You need rigid non-split fins to do backwards kicks. Jets and the like give you more precise control over your finning than some of the other fins and are more suited for the various kicks DIR folks use.

Mark

Does anyone use the Diverite fins or or are the Jets "the only choice"?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom