fin choices.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soon2bff

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not certified yet, but im looking into the equipment so i can have the "basic stuff" when i go through cert.

I've been a Navy swim instructor/lifeguard for the last 3 years. I trained in, certified, and use on a normal basis the Aqualung Rocket 2 fins. It seems many people use the Scubapro jet fins, and they look highly similar to me. I have acces to the jet fins, but have not used them yet...when i get them i will try them out. I have also used the Aqualung Blades 2 fins.

Here's the break down of questions.

What's the pros and cons of the different types of fins? I know the Blades 2 are longer and flex more than the rockets, but what does that reault in when im diving? Im comfortable with both types.

Whats the major difference between the jet fins and rockets?

Any advice is greatly appreciated, and if you have other recommendations id like to hear them! I'm not at all saying im only going to use one of the fins i mentioned, i just have easy access and use of these.

THANKS!

Soon2bff,

Good idea to start looking around for your basic kit now.

Fins are very personal and a diver's preference for particular style/brand seems to favor "what they currently own" and it matches their individual diving sytle. But with that said fins also differ by design based on their functional use and most manufactures make a fin in each design class.

IMO the most important consideration is how the fin feels and fits on you; it should be an extension of your leg. The second most important design feature to consider is its use…what type of diving will you be doing. I would not get all caught up on a single design or brand just yet. You will want to make your kit investment that is appropriate for you.

Paddle Fins are the most common type of fin used for recreational diving. They have a “relatively” flat and solid blade. Some have flex-points, pivot points and/or slight curves to assist in moving you through the water. They range are very flexible to very stiff; this is dependent upon their designed use. Some of the more “advanced” designs have adjustable settings so the diver can “set” the fin to match the desired “dive conditions”.

Another style of fin is the Split-Fin. The blade is split down the middle of the fin. The theory of the design is when the diver kicks the split blade has les resistance to the water and propels the diver with less efforts; similar to a whale’s tale. While split fins tend to cost a little extra, many divers preferred for the extra comforts and increase efficiency of the water propulsion design.

While the split fins are good for recreational divers, some of your serious technical divers, cave divers and photographers do not care for them as much as a good stiff Paddle Blade, such as your Pro Jets. The stiffer paddle blade fins are better at hovering, fighting current, and advance kicks like the frog kick or back pedaling.

There are other things to consider too:
1. There are features like what type of straps to use; stainless steel spring straps or the more adjustable rubber straps.
2. Will you need a boot to wear around the shore or dock; so open heel or closed heel come into play? Most divers use the open-heel design.
3. What is your leg strength and how fast do you want to go in the water?
4. Do you plan to travel a lot or dive locally; weight can become a factor when flying?

Something to think about before you sink a lot of money into a fin that you might not use to its fullest design capabilities.
BTW, I own six pairs of fins: 2 pair of Atomic Split Fins with Stainless Steel Spring Straps; 1 pair of AquaLung Slingshots, a paddle blade that hinges horizontally with adjustable bands to match my “diving condition”; a pair of AquaLung Hotshots which are a smaller travel size of the Slingshot; 2 pair of Hollis F1s (very similar to your Jet fins) in large and extra-large depending on what type of exposure suit I am wearing.

I recommend you try and many different types of fins that you can at your job and see what you like and what is comfortable.

Good luck with your upcoming certification course.

~Oldbear~

I tried a pair of F1's today with the steel flex strap. I liked the strap, but couldn't get a good feel for the fins due to an improper fit caused by an improper boot size. I'll be trying them again tomorrow. I'm supposed to be able to get a pair of the jet fins from scubapro tomorrow also.

I know beyond a doubt that I want open heel fins, and that most of my diving will be local. If not local it may be while on deployment with my (soon to be) ship. No additional fees or weight restrictions, only space and I'm sure there are several ways to get around that.

Leg strength is definitely not an issue, neither will endurance be as I am constantly swimming as well as assisting people while wearing fins. Speed however, is something I never considered. Is speed a concern, or will current fighting be the concern? I'll be stationed in San Diego, and this is where most of my diving will occur.

See my review on fins. I'll admit I made the 2.0 version come out biased against splits. I can't be bothered to write up a newer unbiased one.
I would stick with either the Rockets or Jet fins, which ever you prefer.
Rockets are like stiff planks compared to Jets, which have a bit more flexibility to them.

I think you have the leg power to use them and it will allow you flexibility in how you maneuver.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...-fin-review-2-0-split-fins-vs-all-others.html

I dove with some sailors in Dubai who booked their trips thru the MWR on ship. One guy had his own gear and dived often when in port, others used rentals. While most rentals are fine, there is something to be said of using your own kit...

I have noticed over decades that many divers develop a preference for their first fins and mask. This, and their incredibly long lifespan, probably accounts for a good part the Jet fin’s popularity among a significant percentage of more advanced divers. I got my first pair in 1968 and finally had to replace them a few years ago. I continue to try a lot of different fins, but keep coming back to Jets. We used US Divers (now Aqualung) in the Navy. They are very similar and I can’t swear that I could tell the difference in the water in a blind test… but I keep coming back to Jets.

The conclusion to be drawn is not about choosing Jet fins and more about a fin that will likely be available a long time. There are tons of wiz-bang fins that hit the market all the time and don’t last in use or the market. It is really annoying to be forced to change from what you have grown to love. “In my mind” there has never been as good a mask as my first one, which rotted and went out of production over 40 years ago. I have friends older than me that keep their “Duck Feet” fins even though they have long since turned into a sticky pile of goo.

Call me crazy, but if you're not planning wreck or cave diving try some carbon fiber long blades. They're not just for free diving.

I think someone with your background will be happiest with a blade fin of some kind, and the ones you are considering will all be fine. I prefer Jets to Rockets myself, even though they do indeed look similar. There are other good blade fins, though. The Hollis F1s you mentioned are excellent--I would strongly consider them. There are also good stiff blade fins by Mares and Cressi. I think you will be happy with whatever of those you get used to.

Long blades are energy efficient and powerful, but sacrifice easily making sharp turns. I use long fins for freediving and turns are partly compensated for my having less restriction to bend the whole body. Definitely a good choice for long compass runs though. I swim much straighter in long blades than Jets. I spend most dives slowly meandering towards whatever strikes my interest so the power, speed, and efficiency isn’t worth the loss of maneuverability.

It sounds like Soon2bff has the leg development for them though. They don’t last as long or take the abuse of a rubber fin… like under a pile of cylinders in a bouncing inflatable.

---------- Post added January 15th, 2013 at 09:56 AM ----------

… I prefer Jets to Rockets myself, even though they do indeed look similar...

Just curious. Do you think you can tell the difference between Rockets, Jets, Turtles, or the many clones if someone put a black-mask and the fins on you before entering the water? Maybe I could, but wouldn’t put money on it.

Just curious. Do you think you can tell the difference between Rockets, Jets, Turtles, or the many clones if someone put a black-mask and the fins on you before entering the water? Maybe I could, but wouldn’t put money on it.

I don't know. Maybe not.

A number of years ago I tried several fins to see which I like best, including Jets, Rockets, and Turtles. I like the Jets best, then the Turtles, then the Rockets. I ended up buying Turtles because of the famous size gap with Jets--none fit the rock boots I was using.

Eventually I decided I didn't like using rock boots, and when I did, the Turtles no longer fit but the Jets did. So I switched, and I immediately preferred them over the Turtles--or was I just preferring not wearing the rock boots any more? (Experiments with two variables are frustrating.) Later on I tried a friends F1s for a few dives, and I liked them. I also have an old pair of Cressi Frogs that I use when doing instruction in a pool, and they feel great--but in a pool I am using a light wet suit, not the dry suit I usually wear with the Jets. Another variable.

The final variable is me. I am a different diver than I was back when I tried the Rockets. I have different skills. Who knows? Maybe those Rockets, which came in last place when I tried them, might be exactly the fins for the diver I am today.

(BTW, anyone want a pair of Turtles with Halcyon spring straps?)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom