Fin bouyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Baerdiver

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm a novice diver using SP Razor fins with Henderson Octoboots - unmarked, but either 5 or 7 mil. During my certification dives in Grand Cayman I had trouble with my feet floating so the DM suggested I get a pair of ankle weights, which solved the problem and allowed be to drop a couple pounds from my BC. Both my DM and a buddy who has logged 300+ dives suggested I might consider full foot fins to eliminate the added bouyancy of the Octoboots. My local Indy DM suggested I consider fins with slight negative bouyancy instead and/or get a thinner boot. I am a vacation, warm water diver planning a trip to Cozumel in early April and would appreciate any thoughts/recommendations.

I have the exact opposite problem. Even wearing Bare arctic boots (in the tropics) and neutral fins, my legs still sink!

Sorry, that's not any help to you! I think most fins these days are designed to be neutral, but my dad has some old Jet fins that sink like rocks! eliminating the boot would help a bit, and if you combine that with a negative fullfoot fin you could be in luck. Hard to say though.

the jet fins would help,but sounds like you need to play with your trim and see if you can get it balanced,try moving your tank alittle higher in your bc.

scubapro jet fins (or other negative fins) will help. do make sure that your tank is as high as you can get it on your bc - your head *should* touch. also consider getting some ankle weights (try the exercise area of walmart - tends to be cheaper than your lds) and putting them on your tank valve!

keep trying and tweaking and doing slightly new things. practice in your local lake or quarry or pool or whatever. yeah, maybe not as exciting as travel diving, but otherwise you'll be spending the first several dives getting your stuff dialed in *or* never getting dialed in and suffering the consequences including looking silly underwater! :wierdo:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom