Filtration 101

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting story. Many moons ago, I was handloading a Hodgdon smokeless powder and the result gave a really stiff kick. Later, discovered that Hodgdon had not actually tested the powder. Apparently, they had copied, line for line, the velocities and pressures of a similar Winchester powder. Geez.

Condensators are interesting gadgets. Apparently, without some necessary mechanicals, the air inside can become super saturated. Theory suggests that pressure alone should wring out enough water to produce 100% saturation; in other words to wring out the maximum moisture in the form of condensate. Yet, testing a simple canister at high pressure always results in water being expelled from the output. Some water does not condense out into the bottom of the can but blows through the plumbing. The mechanical details such as micronic filter or jet tube are there for a reason. Those things really work. The condensators which are used on my portables are military surplus designed in the 50's. (Mine are factory dated in the mid 60's). Yet, I found that one of these canisters is more efficient than an array of similar Bauer condensators manufactured in the 1970's. I ran an air line from the surplus condensator (no filter) directly into a Scuba tank. Afterwards, the air was dumped from the cylinder and quickly inspected cold. Internal inspection revealed no visible moisture. That could not be duplicated with the Bauer system, not even with an interseparator and two stock Bauer condensators on the HP side. (Both systems used back pressure valves set to 2000 psi). The Bauer left some condensation in the Scuba tank. Since then, I added a large hybrid filter/condenser to the Bauer compressor, eg as an addition not a substitute.

Some good information here by many. I will say this, factory filtration systems are tested under optimum conditions where it is cool and dry. Where we SCUBA dive is hot and humid usually.
Also some people seem to think that 6oz. of dessicant will some how magically remove a gallon of moisture and contaminants. Not going to happen folks.
Larger filters are heavier and more expensive and the more CFM your compressor puts out the larger filtration you need.
Most every compressor made could benefit from a larger filtration system. (IMHO) But if you add an extra $1000 and 50 lbs to each compressor it changes everything.
Larger filters give you longer life and a better safety margin. You choose what fits your needs and wallet best.

I don't think so. Been building systems fo 20 years. If what you are saying was true, RH sensors wouldn't work. Think again! Pretty words but don't mean squat. Don't believe me, Ask Mike Casey at Lawrence Factor.

Craig

Craig you will be building systems for another 20 years and it looks like you will never understand the thermodynamic principles involved.
Regis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom