Filtering colors science project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blueringocto

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am doing my 7th grade science fair project on the filtering of colors in depth. I need to include the real life applications in my purpose. I was asking my teacher, who used to dive, what are the real life applications and he said commercial divers use color coded flags that look bright on the surface but the colors would be filtered out in certain depths and look brown. I wanted to know what are the other real life applications.

Thank you.

You should contact scuba board member drbill. He is a marine biologist, a gentleman and a scholar. He has his own educational tv program and writes a column too. Good luck on your project.

You might read in the photo forum as people often post pictures that have the color distorted due to depth and then get help from others on color correcting those pics. If you ask, I am sure some of them would let you use the before and after stuff for you project.

Last edited:
Light is absorbed progressively as depth increases. This is illustrated by the graph below:

light_spectral_absorption_water1.jpg

This plays a great role in how divers percieve the underwater environment. It is also an important factor in underwater photography. The comparative photo below shows the effect of light absorbtion on a photo of a coral reef.

18_underwater_douglas.jpg

Devon:

The pictures you posted will not open. Is there a way for you to repost them?

I am bluerings mom. We lamenated a color wheel and took it from surface to 40' (jr OW). We took pictures, with no flash from surface to depth. But a good photo would really make a good point.

Are these your pictures that you posted?

Thank you for your help.

I just got the photos from a Google Image search.

Try the phrases:

"Underwater color absorption"

"Underwater photo color"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom