Filter Canister for Hyper Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ssscuba

Reaction score
I have searched this board but no luck on Hyper Filtering my air. Anyone have a cheeper way to do it? I have found the normal canisters for about $500 and filters for $80 or so. Anyone have any other options? or somewhere to locate a canister used?

O2 Hacker's Companion from Airspeed Press has plans in the 4th edition of the book.

Good luck.

Dave D

I assume you want something on the cheap. Nothing wrong with that but one could ask about the context of what you are doing. What is the air source and present filtration? What are you filtering this air for? If you already have a compressor with modern condensator and filter I suggest you buy two things: a mil surplus, 50 dollar, inline filter canister from Airtimeair and a 25 dollar 5 micron inline particle filter from Compressed air specialties. People are getting too hyper about their air, IMO. Five hundred bucks is ridiculous to some and reasonable to others. I'm in the former set.

There are some pictures at
http://www.airspeedpress.com/gallery.html

and several of the surplus compressor people who sell on ebay are selling surplus filter housings which have been adapted to take breathing air filtration cartridges at fairly reasonable prices, though I haven't examined any of these myself.

Pescador, I'm not sure what you are suggesting in your post. Are you saying to add just a micron filter inside the surplus housing, or a surplus housing with the usual breathing air media inside, and a micron filter as well?

dmdalton once bubbled...
O2 Hacker's Companion from Airspeed Press has plans in the 4th edition of the book.

Good luck.

Dave D

would a HEPA filter element such as the ones from mcmaster-carr in a surplus housing do the trick?
I live in an area where the high-pressure type filter cartridges are tough to get.

I went and ordered the book, as it looks like well worth the $35.

My air is grade E now, just trying to make it oxygen ready for mixing.
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Does anyone know where these "hydraulic accumulator" come from, are they a car part or plane part?

Okay, hacker, I guess I owe an explanation. I realize that the Lawrence factor cartridge contains a fine ceramic disk inside the plastic case. That's good, IMO. However, some folks might be tempted to take apart an old canister and repack. Sometimes, the ceramic disk is non reusable.It might be replaced by a polyester filter pad which is not as fine grained as the disk. The main danger in putting air into a tank already charged with oxygen is oil and carbon particles. Oil is taken care of by the multisorb, charcoal and 13X. What takes out the particles? Some of us think that ordinary 40 micron pads are sufficient. For those who don't, like the Navy, there is a SS inline filter available which will filter down to 5 micron. It is screwed into the fill hose and has a replacable element. Only thing is, it costs 60 bucks, not the 20 that I said earlier, oops. Anyway, I added that little gimmick as a defensive measure or for the overly cautious who are also on a budget.

Pesky

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom