Film and XRays

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly: Sorry it took me so long to jump in...
Secondly: James is cruisin for a well deserved bruisin from Dee...

As blacknet mentioned, please look at this post!

We've gone over this subject and beaten it to death... but as long as we are here, let me clear up some of the BS while trying to keep insults (but not criticism) to a minimum.

PLEASE VISIT MY WEBPAGE ON THE SUBJECT!

Regarding agstreet's "test"

The most obvious effect of too much radiation is an increase in film base + fog (FB+F) as blacknet was metnioning. This increase is noticable once certain conditions are met. Exposed film is usually more vulnerable to general fogging. Using unexposed film for the test is a poor way to judge anything because the theshhold for noticable effect is different from irradiated film that has been exposed prior or after exposure. The changes in the film from one or two or three X-rays may be OK for most people. Most people would not know the difference. TSA regulations are written with most people in mind. Further more, the age of the film should also make it more succeptable to as it will have recieved a dose of cosmic radiation the size of which depends on the films age. It is worth noting that film receives more radiation flying than sitting on the ground because of decreased atmospheric shielding. The same thing goes for living at 9000ft vs sea level. My film is getting 4X as much cosmic radiation as someone at sea level.

Aside from all this backround information, testing unexposed slidefilm is a rather poor choice. I would harldly call agstreet's "study" a "controlled study." Aside from the using unexposed slidefilm for the test, I don't think agstreet used test film from the same bulk roll (that slide film could have been from different batches) and I don't think he put a calibrated dosimeter through the X-ray machine to measure the dose the film recieved. Also, blackent was asking for the densitometry data, not scans of the film. If agstreet understood the process, he would proably realize that. Furthermore, from my more limited understanding on the subject of densitometry (vs radiation), blacknet is quite right that the lab probably wouldn't detect the change on their equiptment or screwed up the process on top of the testing materials being far from ideal. The rest of agstreet's claim that X-rays at airports don't harm film is scientifically dubious and based on anecdotal evidence and subjective evaluation.

Food for thought:
1. If carry on X-ray exposure doesn't matter, why are you allowed hand inspections for ALL film? The government just created the TSA and moved and altered the CFRs. It could have easily been removed and would have saved much time and effort.

2. There are lots of pros who demand hand checks. Many do this because they have had experiences with film fog that they blame on X-Ray machines.

3. Many Pros simply avoid X-rays and hand checks by buying/developing their film on site or having it shipped to and from the site. (re blacknet's comment here, I don't know how common that is... I heard it's only when shipping to certain places (military bases, government offices, etc)

4. I've spent a goodly amount of time with photography. It is a source of income for me. I don't let them X-Ray my stuff if I can help it.

5. It all comes down to two things.
A. There are *many* unkowns in this question of travel X-ray exposure effects on film. So...
B. What is acceptable to you individually. That is: What risks are you willing to take with your film considering what effects you think will be perceived based on the exposures you expect your film might receive from all sources? Is your film going to see four sessions in an X-ray macine?
To give the most extreme examples, is your film partially exposed using a modified zone system, Ilford Delta 3200 that is close to its expiration date, and you are shifting... "pushing to 12500," and the film is going to see 8 X-rays and 8 flights, or do you have some fresh 35mm Fuji RVP Velvia 50ISO you are treating like 40ISO and are going to let your kid use in his point and shoot that is going through one X-ray on a single one way flight.

Regarding agstreets confused analogies on dosage and "voltage"

One error I did find on the previous thread was a misunderstanding between total dose and voltage. This is in reference to using lead lined bags. While the total radiation dose does not change with sample density, the tube voltage does. Voltage affects the "penatrating" power of the x-ray, while dose is the total amount of radiation the sample is exposed to. A very loose analogy would be voltage and charge. The two have some relationship to each other, but are independant quantities.

I don't know what physics book agstreet read. I assume by "voltage," agstreet actually means the frequency/energy of the photons being emitted. Voltage is a measure of potential difference. Perhaps he was confused because the energy of high energy photons like X-rays are given in eV, or electron Volts, which is a measure of energy, not electric potential (voltage). The energy of the photons is directly proportional to the dosage (absorbed energy/unit mass). I don't remember excatly, but X-ray machines emit photons between 10-250 KeV. I am pretty sure I remember them mostly being around 25 KeV. Many X-ray machines emit on different (but fairly close) frequencies and then compare the absorbtion. Different materials absorb different frequenceis differently. Organics have their own absorbtion profile. IF you see a false color screen that scanner is looking at, it tell him whether he is looking at... say... plastic or metal. Back to the matter at hand, the frequencies the machines emit are fixed. Dosage, or absorbed energy, is the quantity that we are concerned about when it comes to X-rays and film, and to a lesser extent, doserate.

Regarding lead bags, "cranking up the machines," and checked luggage scanners.

I hear it all the time. "Don't bother with the lead bag. They will just crank up the machine." This is an bit of misinformation that has been passing around the internet for some time. All carry on luggage scanners in the USA can not have their power "cranked up." In the USA and most foreign countries, there are government limits established for the dose rate and/or the dose limit on a single pass (1mR in the US I do recall). The machines are supposed to be adjusted to that limit but they might be out of adjustment. However, the intensity cannot be altered by the operator if he sees a black blob. The dose could be higher if the operator leaves the X-Ray on and doesn't move the conveyor belt, however, this will not help the operator see through the lead bag. The operator will have to remove the film from the lead bag and hand inspect it.

Lugage scanners: Only the new high power CTX5xxx series scanners have variable power and these devices are only used to scan checked luggage and in special inspections of carry on luggage and you should never have your film run through them for any reason unless you are a fan of Russian Roulette. The high power mode allows a 3D X-Ray (similar to CAT) scan of suspicious objects for easier identification in order to speed up the scanning process by preventing the screeners from having to open every suspicious bag. These scanners are capable of destroying any undeveloped film of any speed if the high powered beam scans the film. These beams can deliver 300mR to your luggage.

Regarding agstreet's 95% success rate in hand checking
That's pretty impressive... care to share some techniques?

Why take the chance....insist on hand checking...it's your right.
Darn tootin!

me:"It is _professional_ film and I don't want it X-rayed."
This is an excellent line to use! Also tell them that you are pushing your film to 1000. Agstreet carries a few roles of high speed film to show the TSA. This is an excellent technique. Please see my webpage for more tips. It has links to government documents to print out and show the scanners. Also, nothing works like showing a TSA scanner something written by the TSA.

Regarding the FAA
Before the TSA was created, the most significant security regulations that concerned flying photographers were listed in Federal Aviation Regulations (FAR) 107 and 108 (parts of title 14 CFR); they are now defunct and have been moved to several Transportation Security Regulation (TSR), that is, Title 49 CFR parts 1540, 1542, and 1544. The new federal regulations are virtually identical to the previous regulations when it comes to film and photographic equipment. All screeners are TSA personell although at some airports private security forces are supervised by TSA personell (Kansas City International for example).

That is all for now.

PLEASE VISIT MY WEBPAGE ON THE SUBJECT!

TheAvatar,

You left out one critical section. You forgot to tell them your in nuclear engineering.

Ed

James connell once bubbled...
so what bothers you ? that our goverment lies to us? or that you're an amature? or that you're too cheap to ship the film and want it to travel free?

I beg your pardon? What bothers me is your rude and disrespectful attitude and manner. My comment to you concerned the WAY in which you expressed your disbelieve. Specifically your assumption that anyone had "their head up their A$$?" I couldn't care less what you think of our Government and I don't discuss politics with anyone, especially people on message boards. But your antagonistic attitude in expressing your disbelief will not be tolerated. It's rude and disrespectful to everyone here. Your next rude and/or disrespectful post will be removed.

You're comment "just ship the film on a freight carrier (usp,fedex, ect) and don't worry about it! damn amatuers." just shows how much you don't know about the subject being discussed. Of the freight carriers you mention, UPS, FEDEX, etc., UPS X-ray their freight. I called and was told on the phone it's with the same strength X-ray that the airlines use for checked baggage.

Amatuer? If your comments are typical of whatever you consider a professional to be, I'm damned proud to be an amatuer.

Dee once babbled...

You're comment "just ship the film on a freight carrier (usp,fedex, ect) and don't worry about it! damn amatuers." just shows how much you don't know about the subject being discussed. Of the freight carriers you mention, UPS, FEDEX, etc., UPS X-ray their freight. I called and was told on the phone it's with the same strength X-ray that the airlines use for checked baggage.

Amatuer? If your comments are typical of whatever you consider a professional to be, I'm damned proud to be an amatuer.

Having, over the last couple of years, shipped an average of ~2000 rolls a month and never had a 'fogging' problem ( most is high quality portrait shots to be enlarged to 20x24' if ordered), or Any xray cause problems. it's just possible that i have a little experiance in this, eh?

it would do well for amatures to worry about proper focus, exposure and composition NOT about things that make no difference.

Having, over the last couple of years, shipped an average of ~2000 rolls a month

Hello,

numbers do not impress me, they make me want to puke when I see things like this. Do tell us how many wow shots you have in those 2k / month rolls? How many cover shots? How many trash shots?

Ed

blacknet once bubbled...

Do tell us how many wow shots you have in those 2k / month rolls? How many cover shots? How many trash shots?

Ed

this is irrelevent to the subject, the Fact remains - i saw the results from 2000 rolls a month - NO DAMAGE.

since i was busy taking pix, i rarely was there for the sales. out of the maybe 5% of the showings i attended i had a "wow" from every client on at least 1 of 5 poses.

i should clarify - i don't shoot 2000 rolls a month, the company i worked for had 15 teams of shooters doing 25-30 sittings a day/5days a week.
i was 1 of 2 field managers and in charge of training the photogs. personally i shot ~ 30 rolls a week, however my job required me to go over the other shooters work with them, so i saw a Large majority of the stuff shot.

as for your other Qs - the job didn't produce "cover shots" they were sold to the customers, i do have 28 different 'example' portraits being used for advertizing by the company as well as a training manual that contains my work for poses/composition.
my underwater stuff has won awards in photocontests, appeared in advertizments, and hangs in a number of dive shops as well as individual collections

as for trash shots - i'm Very critical of my work - 90%. but i would point out that out of a possible max $250 'package' ( and they weren't required to buy anthing) i had a $156 average sale record - apparently the customers didn't think they were trash even if i did. i also averaged 6 20x24 'special orders' and 17 16x20s out of every 100 sittings.

now since you asked i'll return the fav - what's your qualifications?

James connell,

Most of the users here are amatures, sorry but that's the way things are. Most users here dislikes arogance from the pro's, that's what drives them away from the field. Our goals should be to entice them into learning new things and exploring new avenues. I would like to suggest that you please tone it down.

As for my qualifications, i guess you could say i'm 'semi-pro' I do not buy into the whole attitude part which makes it unique. I am more advanced than your average 'amature' and I do not do photography for a living, nor would I because of the attitude.

Your numbers seems about average for both amature and pro alike. The reason I ask the question is so anyone who reads this thread will see past the initial post to what things really are.

Ed

Thanks! You've vindicated my physicist buddy. He explained to me in layman's terms what you just so eloquently and concisely explained to this thread.

He went on to expand for my pea-sized brain for technical ideas just what the heck Marie Curie's experiments really show......God rest her soul.

blacknet once bubbled...

"As for my qualifications, i guess you could say i'm 'semi-pro' I do not buy into the whole attitude part which makes it unique. I am more advanced than your average 'amature' and I do not do photography for a living, nor would I because of the attitude."

i'm sorry but you asked me for MY qualifications to hold the opinions i have, and i gave them - in return you, apparently, have none.
'profesional' means you make a living by that disipline.
what's 'semipro' mean? - you'd *like* to sell a pix?

"Your numbers seems about average for both amature and pro alike."

Most amature (and pros for that matter) make ~$10 per frame of film shot and do it @ a steady 1000 frame/week? one thing you mite take note of - it's very easy to shoot 100+ rolls a week, but try selling 30% of those.

"The reason I ask the question is so anyone who reads this thread will see past the initial post to what things really are."

then you have failed. my posting style has very little to do with my profession, and much more to do with my (rather warped) sence of humor and the fact that i hate typing (arthritic hands), also from the fact that i can't stand the overuse of 'emoticons'.

later

....it would do well for amatures to worry about proper focus, exposure and composition NOT about things that make no difference.

Us mere and lowly amateurs are proud of our out of focus, over/under exposed and badly composed photos. And to us it does make a difference how the film they are on is handled.

If you are here on Scuba Board to help educate us to what you believe are superior talents, your attitude isn't conducive to that. If you are here talk down on us mere amateurs, please go elsewhere...we don't need it.

I'll say it again...with your example of a professional, I'm more than proud to be labeled an amateur.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom