Film and XRays

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have done some travel with camera and film since 9/11.

You have the right to hand inspection as other people pointed out.

Usually my conversation with the inspection agent goes like this:
me: "I have film, I want it hand inspected."
TSA inspector:"What speed is your film?"
me:"It is _professional_ film and I don't want it X-rayed."
then they usually page somebody to do a hand inspection.

I also recommend taking the film out of the canisters beforehand and storing it in translucent plastic bags (freezer type bags) to make inspection easier. Also put it on the top of your hand luggage for easy retrieval (and storage).

Hello,

TSA regulations also mandates a public post of the rules in regards to camera equipment and film. I fail to see the argument here.

Ed

agstreet once bubbled...

First, the information from the TSA web site:

http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?theme=56

states that cabin baggage x-ray will not hurt anything under asa 800.

does anybody in this thread NOT have their head up their A$$?

this is the same goverment that just lied to us about iraq having MSDs - in a number of trips since 911 they have positively Refused to 'handcheck' film - "everthing must go through xray" is all they'll say.

just ship the film on a freight carrier (usp,fedex, ect) and don't worry about it! damn amatuers.

James connell once bubbled...

just ship the film on a freight carrier (usp,fedex, ect) and don't worry about it! damn amatuers.

shippers are now nuking packages to stop us from shipping anthrax and other nasties.

Ed

Welcome to the world of the street conceit. We are all hard headed and conceited.

Ed

blacknet once bubbled...

Welcome to the world of the street conceit. We are all hard headed and conceited.

Ed

Conceited?

I would say opinionated, at least when it comes to things I know something about.

I know a bit about x-ray systems and radiography, having used the technique professionally for 20+ years (I have a Faxitron in my garage, as well).

I know a bit about how screeners behave in real life, in many countries, having spent the better part of the last two years flying between the US and Asia on a painfully regular basis (I'm PPS on Singapore Air).

I know a bit about the real effects of airport x-ray (cabin luggage, not checked) on "regular" professional photographic film, having done a controlled study just to measure those effects.

If you don't like what I've said about my experiences, fine. If you want to insult me, that's fine too. If someone's feelings were hurt because I didn't blindly accept information I know to be false, oh well. Life will go on for all of us.

Alan

agstreet once bubbled...

Conceited?

I would say opinionated, at least when it comes to things I know something about.

If you don't like what I've said about my experiences, fine. If you want to insult me, that's fine too. If someone's feelings were hurt because I didn't blindly accept information I know to be false, oh well. Life will go on for all of us.

Alan

Hey,

BTW My last name is street and this runs deep in the family. I was not insulting anyone because I am also in that catagory.

Ed

blacknet once bubbled...

Hey,

BTW My last name is street and this runs deep in the family. I was not insulting anyone because I am also in that catagory.

Ed

Then I owe you an apology, Ed. I had no idea we shared the same last name :)

Alan

this is the same goverment that just lied to us about iraq having MSDs - in a number of trips since 911 they have positively Refused to 'handcheck' film - "everthing must go through xray" is all they'll say.

Mr. Connell,

I'll remind you also that comments like this are not necessary nor will they be tolerated. Surely you can express you disbelief in a civil manner with respect to the other posters and their opinions. If not, please spend your time elsewhere.

Dee once babbled...

Mr. Connell,

I'll remind you also that comments like this are not necessary nor will they be tolerated. Surely you can express you disbelief in a civil manner with respect to the other posters and their opinions. If not, please spend your time elsewhere.

so what bothers you ? that our goverment lies to us? or that you're an amature? or that you're too cheap to ship the film and want it to travel free?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom