Filling Your Own Tanks - Oxygen Fire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara:
I don't know about the "you" that you refer to but "I" am as qualified, and maybe more qualified, to fill tanks, mix gas and prepare equipment than any one you are likely to find in a dive shop.

I'm Glad to Hear that your so PERFECTLY QUALIFIED! I'm also glad that your way up north and I'm down here in FLORIDA!

MikeFerrara:
. Speaking of which, there are plenty of dive shops that have had accidents. the last one that I remember hearing about resulted in a fatality and took out the front of the dive shop.

Yep, there was one in Sebastian Florida, just down the road. He was filling an out of date steel tank and it exploded. It killed him and destroyed the shop! Ya don't follow the rules, you can die! [ Unless your so PERFECTLY QUALIFIED ]!!

FlIrishman:
I'm Glad to Hear that your so PERFECTLY QUALIFIED! I'm also glad that your way up north and I'm down here in FLORIDA!

Yep, there was one in Sebastian Florida, just down the road. He was filling an out of date steel tank and it exploded. It killed him and destroyed the shop! Ya don't follow the rules, you can die! [ Unless your so PERFECTLY QUALIFIED ]!!

Mike used to own a dive shop, I'm sure he is perfectly qualified.

BTW, you can die filling tanks while following the rules.

George, if you know what you are doing (Mike does), you are as safe filling your own tanks as standing beside the guy filling them at a shop. In fact, you are probably safer because few shops actually get proper training for folks filling tanks. Also, most tanks are inspected by people who have absolutely no idea what they are doing.

MikeFerrara:
I guess I missed something. I looked at the pictures but I don't see why I shouldn't fill my own nitrox tanks. Do you?

I would agree that you shouldn't be filling any tank if you don't know what you're doing and you certainly shouldn't be messing around with O2 if you don't know what you're doing but there are lots of people who do know what they are doing.

I don't know about the "you" that you refer to but "I" am as qualified, and maybe more qualified, to fill tanks, mix gas and prepare equipment than any one you are likely to find in a dive shop.

Since using 100% O2 can never be 100% safe, the one advantage to letting some one else do it is that it's their property that will burn up instead of yours if something goes wrong. Speaking of which, there are plenty of dive shops that have had accidents. the last one that I remember hearing about resulted in a fatality and took out the front of the dive shop.

Wow, did you get decaf coffee by mistake this morning?

cerich:
I'm gonna guess that he was boosting his O2 to rated tank pressure on his deco bottle.

I avoid that practice like the plague.... Most O2 incidents I am aware of come from boosting.

I fill my alum deco bottles to 2250, if I need more O2 I bring a bigger bottle.

I am pretty sure that if the conditions were right. (and by that I mean contamination, impingement, opening valves too quick). You could blow ***** up with a lot less than 2250 PSI of O2.

Henry:
I am pretty sure that if the conditions were right. (and by that I mean contamination, impingement, opening valves too quick). You could blow ***** up with a lot less than 2250 PSI of O2.

Sure you could.

The risk climbs quite a bit when you start to boost O2 to 3k.
Call the local industrial gas company and ask them about it. The local guy in your town most likely handles more O2 than any 50 dive shops.

cerich:
Sure you could.

The risk climbs quite a bit when you start to boost O2 to 3k.
Call the local industrial gas company and ask them about it. The local guy in your town most likely handles more O2 than any 50 dive shops.

Yup. Fully agree with you there. I was only pointing out that even at well below 2250 PSI (let's say 1,500 PSI as an example), it will still be a pretty descent bang! I would be really curious to know if there is an actual difference bewteen the bang that happens at 2,250 and 3,000 PSI.

I guess my point is that I don't think boosting increases your risk of explosion significantly (when handled properly). If it was going to blow, it will blow anyways, not because you brought it up to 3,000 PSI. (I think?)

Anyhow, it must be unique to your area. There are several LDS that handles O2 (including us) and I only know very very few people who handle there own gas. (Mind you these few guys that I know have enough gear to be a dive shop!)

Henry:
Yup. Fully agree with you there. I was only pointing out that even at well below 2250 PSI (let's say 1,500 PSI as an example), it will still be a pretty descent bang! I would be really curious to know if there is an actual difference bewteen the bang that happens at 2,250 and 3,000 PSI.

I guess my point is that I don't think boosting increases your risk of explosion significantly (when handled properly). If it was going to blow, it will blow anyways, not because you brought it up to 3,000 PSI. (I think?)

Anyhow, it must be unique to your area. There are several LDS that handles O2 (including us) and I only know very very few people who handle there own gas. (Mind you these few guys that I know have enough gear to be a dive shop!)

The local industrial gas comany does all medical, welding and every other super high volume oxygen supply. Diving is a pimple you know where on that use.

Boosting does increase the risk of explosion.

cerich:
The local industrial gas comany does all medical, welding and every other super high volume oxygen supply. Diving is a pimple you know where on that use.

Boosting does increase the risk of explosion.

Sorry, when you said the "local guy", I thought you meant it literally. I didn't realize you meant the local gas industrial company.

Looking forward to the story...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom